Brake Lights Staying On - 88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylen

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong section, this seemed the best fit...
Pretty self-explanatory, I've been having an issue in my 88 where the brake lights stay on after parking my truck and turning it off. It hasn't really been an issue until this morning, I walked out to find they had been on since I got home yesterday and my battery was dead. If I go back into the truck and press the brake pedal once, they turn off. Anybody know where I should start looking to fix this?

Thanks in advance yall.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely a sticking brake light switch . I'm pretty sure that brake lights work even if the key is off. Replacements are fairly cheap and my bet is that it would solve the problem. It could be that the pedal spring is losing a bit of its spring and leaving the pedal exerting too much pressure on the switch. If you can pull the pedal up with your foot and the brake lights go off you have your answer. Sometimes that can be adjusted out if that is the problem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep and 88-93 are adjustable. 94-up no longer adjustable design..

Adjustment procedure (thanks to member Chevytech on Chevytalk forums):

"Here is how the switch is adjusted:
On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot.
While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat.
Let go of the lever, then let go of the brake pedal, and the switch should self adjust. Make sure the brake pedal returns to it fully released position."

Richard

kylen

Reaction score
Yep and 88-93 are adjustable. 94-up no longer adjustable design..

Adjustment procedure (thanks to member Chevytech on Chevytalk forums):

"Here is how the switch is adjusted:
On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot.
While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat.
Let go of the lever, then let go of the brake pedal, and the switch should self adjust. Make sure the brake pedal returns to it fully released position."

Richard

Can't figure out how to quote both of yall on my phone but appreciate the help! Replaced the switch and everything works well.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where is the brake light switch located? Beginning to have this issue as well.

kylen

Reaction score
Where is the brake light switch located? Beginning to have this issue as well.

https://imgur.com/a/6iuh2

I apologize for the crappy picture, it's raining here in Nor Cal and I was trying to get it as quickly as possible. If you follow the brake pedal body up to a black piece with a switch protruding from it, that's the brake switch, and the protruding switch is the adjustment piece. There's two clips, one to the pedal body, and one to a rod above, as well as two electrical connectors. Took me about half an hour, mostly because space is real damn tight up there.