Brake lights don't work- need help for a non "electrical" guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
I have a 1990 454SS. The brake lights stopped working. Here is what I know, and again, I don't know too much about voltage, amps, ohms, joules, gigawatts, and whatever else you are supposed to know about electricity.

- rear turn signals and driving lights work
- there is no power to the brake lights when the pedal is depressed
- new brake switch at the pedal did not fix the problem

What else should I look at?

Thanks

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuses, relays, grounds, most likely in that order, beyond that, broken wires and bad circuit boards

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When you installed the new brake switch, did you adjust it? 1988-1993 GMT400 switch must be adjusted after installation.

Chevytech said:
Brake Switch mounting – Installing:
When you have the switch removed look at the side of the switch that would be towards the parking brake pedal if the switch were still installed. There is a protrusion on the switch that must slide into an opening where the switch mounts. Somewhat like a big square lug into a slot. If not installed with the Lug inside the grove it belongs in the switch will move and not stay in adjustment.

Brake Switch adjustment
Here is how the switch is adjusted:
On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot.
While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat.
Let go of the lever, then return the brake pedal to its fully released position, and the switch should self adjust.

Richard

spistols

Reaction score
Saw something on the old switch that is adjustable. However, in my Service manual, there is no mention of adjusting anything. Again, this is a 1990, if this makes a difference?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK I'll try again. :) 1988-1993 are adjustable and must be adjusted for it to work properly.

Richard