brake issues 97gmc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so once in awhile when im driving and im apply the brakes it breaks like normal but just before I come to a complete stop I get a grinding sound to almost wheel lock up I suspect its time for new brakes? my abs warning light been on since I got it ive had it since xmas and it just started doing it only does it when coming to a complete stop if im just slowing down to a crawl its fine. and it only done this about 1-2 times a week. now its starting to get more frequent and my ABS warning light has been on since I got the truck. now before you say just pull the tires off yea I no I need to but this is my only truck for these type of road conditions in these storms so I will not be able to get the tires off untile Thursday-Friday just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I suspect bad breaks caliper locking up or wheel barring? this is a 97 gmc K2500 4x4 single cab 350 motor has 224thousan miles on her and goin strong 4x4 works just fine

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
sounds like bad pads, steel on steel, you will probably need front pads and at least 1 rotor.
Check the back brakes while your at it, make sure they are adjusted properly and that the adjuster is working and all springs are in good shape.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably one of the cheapest vehicles to do a brake job on, pads cost more than the rotors, calipers were so cheap I even replaced those. Mine made all kinds of noise and pulled just a little to the right. If they are making noise and trying to lock up then its a pretty safe bet you'll need rotors. If the pads are down to metal then your calipers are extended quite a way out of the bores, before you compress them to put new pads on be sure to clean and remove any rust on the caliper/piston. If there is rust or dirt there it will make the piston stick with the new pads. I usually toss the calipers if I see rust in that area.

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
got the tires off and THE ROTOR is great shape the brake pads are like brand new ive had the truck since Christmas not this grinding it only does it once it a while. could the cold be causing the brakes to lock up snow/ice water temps in the negatives