Brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 1991 Chev Silverado with 44,000 miles. I want to totally bleed the brakes to get all the old fluid out. Not because it looks like it needs it but since the truck spends so much time sitting I'm pretty sure there is moisture in the system. I was going to use DOT 3 synthetic because the manual calls for DOT 3 and I thought synthetic would be better. After some "bench racing" I was given too many options like don't use synthetic, use synthetic, use synthetic DOT 4 or DOT 5 or "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Since everything, vehicle wise, I've ever owned I overly maintain I want to do it on this too. So I need some thoughts and advice on what you think. I know this is not the greatest problem on the site but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
DOT 3 is what came in the vehicle at time of manufacturer. It is designed for city stop and go traffic. I personally don't see any benefits of changing it to DOT 4 or DOT 5 fluid. Most of us do not treat our trucks as racing vehicles.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Anything besides dollar store "Super S" stuff that meets DOT3 is going to be fine, better than what you have now. Last time I bled my brakes I used Prestone DOT3.

Don't use DOT5 as it is silicone based whereas your original fluid is glycol based.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use DOT 4 in my GMT400. As far as I know its the same as DOT3, just rated for a higher temp. Either way, works find for me. Nothing wrong with DOT3 either.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
No problem. Good on you for having the presence of mind to bleed your old brake fluid. Many people don't change theirs while wondering why their brakes suck or their master cylinder failed. With that said, you still have an aged master cylinder, wheeler cylinders, and calipers. I don't see any reason to spend extra money on "fancy" brake fluids while you might still end up with a failure.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since DOT 3 came in it from the factory it's got to be good enough to use but I don't know if DOT 4 was even around back then. I thought maybe it has some other benefit besides a higher boiling point. Thanks.