Brake controller light illuminates when driving over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed my brake controller in my truck. It used to be in my other truck. After installing wires and making sure it was hooked up right, the brake controller light will illuminate when driving over bumps. Makes no sense to me, the wiring is correct.

Thanks

KBZ71

Reaction score
Have somebody follow you, see if your brakes lights flicker too, if no one else is around try holding the brake pedal up with your left foot when you go over a bump. sounds like there is play in your brake pedal

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
If that doesn't solve it, I'd check in the plug at the rear and make sure you don't have a loose wire or the blue wire that is for the brakes isn't grounding out on something

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never noticed my brake lights go on from the bumps but I will have someone check to confirm.

I never thought it could be a problem with the brake pedal, just figured it was the brake controller but who knows.

How would I go about fixing the loose brake pedal of that is infact the problem?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Is it an inertial controller?

If it is and you have it mounted on too much of an angle, it may be sensing the bumps as braking action. Inertial controllers have specs for how far off horizontal and vertical that they can be mounted.

What is the make and model you are using?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that doesn't solve it, I'd check in the plug at the rear and make sure you don't have a loose wire or the blue wire that is for the brakes isn't grounding out on something

I haven't had a chance to hook up the blue wire yet (waiting for weather to clear up), the end of it from the controller is taped off for now.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

If it is and you have it mounted on too much of an angle, it may be sensing the bumps as braking action. Inertial controllers have specs for how far off horizontal and vertical that they can be mounted.

I'm not sure if it's an inertial controller. It is a drawtite activator. It was already installed in the last truck I had when I bought it.

The controller is mounted almost completely vertical. Guess I should have mounted it more horizontal

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score

I'm thinking the same thing.
Make sure the controller is mounted horizontal (level). Don't tilt the front of the controller up towards you (the driver).

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went back to the instructions. The illustrations show that the controller can be mounted at any angle or vertical

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ah, the base model activator?

That's a time based controller. Not inertial at all IIRC. I prefer inertials myself, but whatever floats yer boat......

I would finish your install and make sure the grounds are good.

Other than that, loose connector or something.

Or perhaps the unit is faulty.