Brake Control Harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95k2500

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is this the end of a brake control harness?

Trying to figure out if the truck is already wired up and just needs a controller hooked up.

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no, that's the diagnostic connection. there is no plug in for a trailer brake controller on these trucks.

95k2500

Reaction score
Okay sounds good. I am sure there are threads about wiring in a controller so I will look for those via search.

Thanks!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Okay sounds good. I am sure there are threads about wiring in a controller so I will look for those via search.

Thanks!

IF your truck has the OEM trailer wiring option, there will be a couple wires bundled below your brake booster and behind the inner fender. It is not a plug in type deal, but the wiring is at least pre run.

The other end will be bundled/taped back at the rear bumper, usually right around the plate lights.

Like I mentioned, it's not a plug in deal and only IF your truck has it but it's a bit of work already done for you.

:)

95k2500

Reaction score
Okay, I will do a little more exploring. It does have a heavy duty receiver and 7-pin connector under the rear bumper, but I would say it's after market.

Can't see any signs of a brake controller being installed.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any 7 pin connector is not factory, any plug at all is not factory. on a used truck with who knows how many owners I would recommend re-wring the entire truck

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Okay, I will do a little more exploring. It does have a heavy duty receiver and 7-pin connector under the rear bumper, but I would say it's after market.

Can't see any signs of a brake controller being installed.

A seven pin means it likely had a brake controller installed at one point.

There's likely wiring still in the truck, either aftermarket or the OEM harness.

Have a dig around and see what you can find.

It may be reusable. Meter it to be certain. Trace it out to make sure its in good shape if you decide to reuse it. There should be no breaks in the insulation, no rubs, not "Scotch lok" style wire taps and make sure it is adaquate guage...