blower speed problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
i have searched, but have not found a problem quite like mine. my blower speed will not work on setting 3. no other speeds are having problems. i checked at the motor and i am not getting power to the blower while on that setting. i pulled the hvac controls and have some melting in the pigtail, but dont no what wire is the output for setting 3. im getting power out on several wires. from what i've read, the resistor only lets high speed work. so i dont know if that is the issue.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's rare but a single resistor coil can go out on the resistor assembly. It has a coiled resistor wire for each speed other than high. Unlikely to be the problem though since you mentioned you have melting at the pigtail; you're going to need to address that first or you'll just be chasing your tail. Fix the damaged connector/wiring first and if it still doesn't work then you can suspect the resistor.

Also 1995-up the fan switch itself can go bad - and can be replaced by itself for about $20 instead of buying a whole new control module, but again this is very rarely an issue.

Richard

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
EDIT: GMT400 God up here beat me too it^^^^

Assuming it's a 95+ truck with the turn knobs, the fan speed switch in the HVAC controls is most likely whats bad.

However the melting in the pigtail surely isn't helping things.

primal1

Reaction score
what color of wire is the output for speed 3. i test to see if is putting any thing out after the switch. it is a 1999.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Can anyone link a part # for the fan switch assembly? The one someotherguy is referring too?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
ACDelco 1572275

I have a like new one for sale too.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
ACDelco 1572275

I have a like new one for sale too.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

If you still have it in a week or so, I'll hit you up for it. I'm broke atm but I need to replace it I think as my switch hardly ever engages air - sometimes each setting turns the fan on, sometimes it doesn't.