Black Brake Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, my brake have been extremely spongy for awhile now. The brake pads were just replaced in June I think, and there isnt any wear indicator squeal, so I've pushed that down the list of things. I've read around that I probably need to bleed my brakes but I dont have the money to go have it done and the people I have available to do it for free say I dont need to bleed my brakes. I want to bleed them nonetheless because in my reading around, it was said that brake fluid shouldnt be black but the aforementioned people says it's fine, so I took a picture of my brake fluid so I could post it here and ask.

You must be registered for see images attach

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
Your brake fluid is contaminated, and needs to be flushed with clean fluid. I would siphon all of it out of the reservoir, wipe the inside of the reservoir out with a rag, refill, then bleed the brakes until the fluid is clear.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've heard, but have no access to willing people without paying an arm and a leg. Plus, I dont know how to do it solo.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Its not that hard to do, just get a friend to help you. Basicly you could always just open the break bleeding screws and put containers under it to catch the old fluid. Then refill it, have someone in the cab pump the brake while you bleed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1iPbeg778

One thing i havent noticed if he says it or not, but start at the furthest end of the reservoir first and work yoru way around

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Its not that hard to do, just get a friend to help you. Basicly you could always just open the break bleeding screws and put containers under it to catch the old fluid. Then refill it, have someone in the cab pump the brake while you bleed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1iPbeg778

One thing i havent noticed if he says it or not, but start at the furthest end of the reservoir first and work yoru way around

Yep on all accounts. GreaseDog and Eric are right. All of the fluid needs to be drained from the system. I would buy a few bottles of brake fluid and run it through until it's clear. By the looks of that fluid, I doubt it's been changed in a long time.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Yep on all accounts. GreaseDog and Eric are right. All of the fluid needs to be drained from the system. I would buy a few bottles of brake fluid and run it through until it's clear. By the looks of that fluid, I doubt it's been changed in a long time.

True instead of getting air through your system... And i think its original fluid!:gr_grin:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the video didnt really show me anything I didnt know. I've watched a few videos already, it's just a matter of me not wanting to 100% trust that those methods are the right method for my specific application. But if you guys have done it, then I'll do it.
And I'm beginning to hate the misinformation my paid mechanic uncle is giving me... but when I tell him he's wrong, he scoffs and tells me to stay off the internet...
I know for a fact that I should not be able to floor my brake pedal when my engine is off.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
What is he he telling you? It's obvious the first thing that needs to be done is getting the old fluid out and new in. When that's done and the brakes are bled, you can see where you're at.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is he he telling you? It's obvious the first thing that needs to be done is getting the old fluid out and new in. When that's done and the brakes are bled, you can see where you're at.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid
He's telling me that my brake fluid is just fine and that it's supposed to darken like that over time.

BigV

Reaction score
There is no visual method to know if fluid is bad. It does discolor on its own. BUT, even clean looking fluid can be bad. Heat is the number one killer. Towing can kill it pretty quickly as well as city driving.

If you don't know when it was done last you should flush it. Bad fluid will destroy your wheel cylinders, master cylinder, corrode brake lines and can just generally be bad.

Call around. My local brake shop charges $45 to do it.