Binding on torque converter when tightening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the motor on my brother in laws k1500 with a diesel. Everything goes well but when I tighten bell housing bolts the last 1/8 of an inch I am inable to turn the converter/motor. I loosen the bolts and shift it apart an 1/8 and I can turn it over again. I cant think of any place it would be binding and cant see anything. Anyone have ideas?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like the tourqe convertor isnt all the way into the trans,did you spin it and make sure it clunked into the pump all the way,also not sure what you did on the swap but what trans do you have in it.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a swap, had to replace the motor after it hydrolocked in some water. I didnt rotate the converter, but we didnt remove it either. Possible it could have been unseated?

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I spin it, it comes to a point where it makes a clunking sound and stops. I havent tried forcing it of course. Is that the lockup rod?

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gennerally you should have at least 3/16" gap between the flywheel and the torque converter mounting tabs with the transmission fully bolted and seated up against the block. You can check this very easily with a 3/16" drill bit. Do not tighten up the bellhousing bolts if the converter mounts come up against the flywheel while bolting up the trans. You need to check that the converter is fully seated into the pump. Rotate it as you push it in and usually you can feel it click into place. Do this at least three times until it is fully seated. If you don't feel it click in each time you turn it then you need to try again. This is important as you can damage the pump if not done properly as you do not want to preload the pump with the converter.

Jason

As I spin it, it comes to a point where it makes a clunking sound and stops. I havent tried forcing it of course. Is that the lockup rod?