BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike73

Reaction score
If you got leaks and slippage at the same time, check for a broken output shaft or bad splines (might also have grinding noises, idk). put a dial indicator on yoke or shaft and check for side to side play. I forget how much play is ok, but there is a well known twin charlotte article about 4l60e problems and it should have more info.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does your yoke have a hole in the middle of it? I bet that's your problem. My Crown Vic leaked there so I drilled and tapped the hole and shoved a bolt in it.

If there is a hole in the cap on a slip yoke, it's a vent. It's supposed to be there.... at least as it applies to GM. I can't speak for Ford, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
I have one question.It may be stupid, but... What transmission fluid do I use in the transmission.(4L60) I have been putting Super Tech transmission Fluid in and I do not know if it is correct.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That'll work, of course, the new designation is Dexron VI - compatible with III

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So are you running the stock driveshaft? With that much movement with air ride and things I would be checking the tail shaft for hair line cracks. I broke u joints from the shaft bottoming out in the trans, thank goodness didnt ruin trans. But sounds like something happened during your drive..

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
soubds like you just put a bolt in the hole where the zerk fitting would usually go. Because there is absolutely NO transmission fluid going through the yoke. There is however grease there.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
soubds like you just put a bolt in the hole where the zerk fitting would usually go. Because there is absolutely NO transmission fluid going through the yoke. There is however grease there.

No, that's not what he should do.... if there is a hole there, it is a VENT, and should be greased. If there is no hole, it should not be greased. If there is a hole, and it's leaking, either his seal in the tail shaft is bad, or he got something physically damaged from the drastic ride height changes.