big three a joke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i recently did the big three and inotice absolutelyno difference in the charging system...i ran all 1/0 wire..went pos. from alt. to bat., gnd from motor to bat., gnd from frame to bat., gnd from cab to bat., 4 awg. from bat. to fuse box, 4 awg. gnd from inner fender next to the bat. to the bat. running oe replacement alt. and bat.....dont matter is my compressor is running or not when i hit the blinker the voltage gauge bounces everytime it hits....the voltage at the battery and at the alternator is the same as its always been.....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What is it actually charging at? The factory alt will only charge so much.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
i recently did the big three and inotice absolutelyno difference in the charging system...i ran all 1/0 wire..went pos. from alt. to bat., gnd from motor to bat., gnd from frame to bat., gnd from cab to bat., 4 awg. from bat. to fuse box, 4 awg. gnd from inner fender next to the bat. to the bat. running oe replacement alt. and bat.....dont matter is my compressor is running or not when i hit the blinker the voltage gauge bounces everytime it hits....the voltage at the battery and at the alternator is the same as its always been.....

Mine still does it on my '92 also. This is because the blinker is tied in inbetween the power for the gauge and the rest of the truck, so if the wiring there is weakening than it will show a "drop" in voltage, although the battery and alternator are doing fine. Test the battery and alternator under the hood, not with the gauge on the dash.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Mine does the same on my 79 Monte too...

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the voltage is 13.8 at the battery and the alternator before and after the "upgrade"...i know if i upgrade the battery and alternator it will be stronger thats a given im just thinking i just wasted my time with this...that volatage is with everythign off...the battery is less then 6 months old and the alternator is ruffly a year and a half old, i put it on for my boss before i bought the truck from him...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always wondered about this upgrade too. Some of the LS guys do it as well but the only time I have actually seen a real benefit was in cars that required more juice than factory for whatever reason. Weather it was stereo related or just power accessory related. In the stock form I havent seen enough results for me to spend the money to upgrade personally on my truck or my TA.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the ground at the aldl plug. that is the ground for the cluster. i cleaned mine and it cut the pulsing in half but it still does it. doing the big 3 did help you but does not fix the volt gauge issue these trucks have.

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It didnt hurt nuthin doin this mod but is not what everyone raves about how its so much difference over stock...oh well never learn till u try i guess...