Big 3 cable upgrade crashes into ohm's law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RideRed2K16

Reaction score
Hello, I found this board while searching for e-fan ideas for my 1996 yukon 5.7L Vortec. Great board!

I saw a few threads about the Big 3 cable upgrade: where you replace factory cables for battery+ to alternator and starter, and battery- to engine, frame, and chassis.

The idea is that fatter cables are less resistive and therefore more efficient, so fatter cables are better.

Consider this:
Copper wire is efficient.
Fatter wire (solid, stranded, or fine stranded) is more efficient than thinner wire.
BUT - fatter wire only delivers real benefits when the conductor length is long and/or the load is large.

When the runs are short and the loads are small, the incremental benefit of fatter wire is small.

This concept is best demonstrated by a simple chart:

You must be registered for see images attach

I made this chart using the free calculator at:
https://photovoltaic-software.com/solar-tools/dc-ac-drop-voltage-calculator

You can confirm the voltage drops using different calculators:
https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html
or
https://grealpha.com/resources/dc-load-wiring-calculator/calc/voltage-drop/
etc.

I made the chart for 14vdc at 150°F, for 1 meter (39 inches) of wire.
The relationships are all predominantly linear.
When temperature decreases, conductive efficiency increases slightly, and vice versa.
When conductor length decreases or increases, conductive efficiency is linearly affected. Example: the power loss in a 13" wire will be 1/3 of the loss in the same wire 39" long, and the power loss in a 117" wire will be triple the loss in the same wire 39" long, all else the same.

Importantly, 1 meter of any size copper wire is not resistive. Because it is short.
A single meter of skinny 20g wire only has three hundredths of 1 ohm of resistance, and 1 ohm is nothing.

But, load matters. The higher the load, the more the resistance of the conductor matters in terms of power loss caused by resistance to current.

I made the chart more expansive than it needs to be, in order to show the big picture.
When your wire is too small for your load, a small increase in wire size makes a big improvement in power loss.
However, when your wire is suitable for your load, a small increase in wire size makes almost no improvement in power loss.

Using the '96 Yukon as an example:

Example 1:
The factory cable from battery+ to starter motor is 2awg copper cable.
Assuming this cable is 1 meter long, and assuming a 50 amp load, the power loss caused by the 2awg cable size is 2.9 watts, or less than 1% of the total wattage, which means that the cable is more than 99% efficient for that application.
If you change that 1 meter cable from 2awg to 2/0awg, and run the same 50amp load, the power loss associated with the new fatter 2/0 cable will be 1.4 watts, an even smaller fraction of 1% of the total load, still greater than 99% efficient.
If you pay $40 to change the factory 2awg cable to a fatter 2/0awg cable, then you have spent $40 to change a cable that is more than 99% efficient, to a cable that is more than 99% efficient.

Assuming a 100amp load and everything else the same, the power loss on the 2awg cable is 11.5 watts or 1% of the load, and the power loss on a 2/0 cable would be 5.7 watts and 0.5% of the load.
So the fatter 2/0 cable, at 100 amps steady draw, would change your system from 99% efficient to 99.5% efficient.

Example 2:
The factory cable from battery+ to the driver's side fuse block is 6awg copper cable.
Assuming this cable is 1 meter long, and assuming a 50 amp load, the power loss caused by the 6awg cable size is 6.3 watts, or 1% of the total wattage, which means that the cable is 99% efficient.
If you change that 1 meter cable to 2awg, and run the same 50amp load, the power loss associated with the new fatter 2awg cable will be 2.9 watts, or about a half of a percent.
So, by changing to the fatter 2awg cable, you have gone from 99% efficient to 99.5% efficient.

This cable never sees 100 amps, but you can do the same comparison at 100amps if you want to, and you will see that changing to a fatter wire makes very little real difference within a reasonable range of operating specifications.

Example 3:
The factory cable from battery+ to the alternator is 6awg copper cable.
Assuming this cable is 0.66 meter long, and assuming a 50 amp load, the power loss caused by the 6awg cable size is 4.2 watts (0.66 of 6.3 watts from the chart), which is less than 1% of the total wattage, which means that the cable is more than 99% efficient.
If you change that 0.66 meter 6awg cable to a 2/0awg huge cable, and run the same 50amp load, the power loss associated with the new fatter 2/0awg cable will be 0.9 watts (0.66 of 1.4 watts), or way less than 1% of the total wattage, meaning that the new fatter cable is more than 99% efficient.

So, by changing the battery+ to alternator cable from 6awg to 2/0awg, you change the cable efficiency from greater than 99% to greater than 99%.

By now, you know how to use the table to compare 6awg to 2/0awg batt+toAlt cable at 100 amps.
6awg = 25.1watt loss x 0.66 = 16.6watt loss = 1.3% loss = 98.7% efficient at 100 amps.
2/0awg = 5.7watt loss x 0.66 = 3.8watt loss = 0.4% loss = 99.6% efficient at 100 amps,
which seems like Hey, maybe I want that 1% increase in efficiency, but you have to remember that you only get that 1% improvement when you make a massive jump in cable size AND your automobile is so screwed up that your alternator is constantly pushing 100 amps at your battery, in which case you will soon have a fire and you don't have to sweat that 1% anymore because your car burned down.

The same basic concepts apply to ground cables (negative side cables).
Your ground cables need to be matched to your load for each and all circuits, but after that, small changes in ground cable size produce the same small changes in power transmission efficiency.

Sooooooo,
If you buy a $200 Big-3-4-5-6 cable kit that has fatter wires for everything, you are changing the factory wiring from 99+% efficient to 99+% efficient.

That's it.

Additional comments:
1 - The chart above displays linear relationships that are inescapable. If you think you don't understand electronics, study the relationships for a while and you will see that physics correlates with common sense: nothing is free. There is no magic.

2 - The 1990's engineering capability at general motors company was not "poor". They did not design and build and sell trucks that had puny inadequate wiring.

3 - Temperature, and fine vs. coarse strands, and alloys, and lug connections, all matter.
A little.
Only a little.
The linear relationships of ohms law applied to conductive materials do not change just because you want them to.
If you have a really crappy dirty loose greasy crimp on a lug, it will cause problems. Clean up the connection, and the problems will go away. You don't need a 2/0awg wire for a 2awg job. Period.

4 - The OBS family is susceptible to problems caused by deteriorating ground connections. Find every ground connection and take it apart and clean all the surfaces. If the cable strap is cracked or corroded, replace it with a similar gauge of wire. A good ground is a good ground. You don't have to triple the wire size to maintain a good ground. A huge wire connected to a rusty greasy ground will be a crappy ground. Oil and dirt are not conductive, at all.

5 - There is such a thing as a ground loop. If you mod your harness like a madman, and then discover that you have voodoo electrical issues, do some research on a ground loop. Maybe you installed too many ground connections and made a weird loop. It happens.

6 - If your cables are old and the lug crimps are dirty and bent over and stressed out, then they will be more resistive than when new. Fix and clean them, or replace them, but don't think that tripling the cable size will create magic. Your problem was dirty bent-over stressed connections, not too-skinny wire.

7 - If you install a 500 amp alternator and a 2000 watt music amplifier in a car, you will need to use fatter wires everywhere that matters. Common sense.
But if you change a total nominal 50 amp load to a total nominal 60 amp load and you have relays and fuses that can handle startup spikes, you don't have to change any wires.

2 cents.

:)

Thx.

DS
Great write up. Informative! Appreciate it.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good write-up, informative. Does anybody know what the spike amp draw is when both fans on a 2005 pickup turn on at the same time? Not saying they’ll do that but it would be the biggest draw on the system. Those are the fans I’m about to install on my obs. I’m not as concerned about wire size as I am about the charging system being able to handle the spike without dimming the lights temporarily at night. Also, I had a 2007 Impala with afm. At night when the afm would kick in at highway speeds the headlights went crazy. The tsb repair called for a replacement harness that included bigger ground wire. I don’t know all of the amperage requirements of each item on these trucks but I do know that GM left no room for more than what came on the truck, be it battery feed, ground or wiring to a particular part. Replacement fuel pumps weren’t guaranteed unless the harness was upgraded to handle the amps which as indicated by GM the original harness was not sufficient to handle the electric pump. I replaced a few with roasted wires.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
those ground straps turn to dust. that's my complaint. haha. so no harm no foul with using larger than necessary wires, I had these on hand from lawnmowers. I cant believe the grounding straps on lawnmowers are much higher quality than gm's. I also took these apart and soldered them up with double wall heat shrink wraps. I have no idea how long one of those braided wires will actually last but it goes against everything I know about wiring.... exposed to everything that it is and being copper bolted to steel its galvanic reaction is probably actually what destroys them. everyone of them that I tugged on in my burb split in 2 with little resistance. I replaced them before they left us stranded. it didn't cost me anything but some time, solder and shrink wraps.

Soy based wiring! is there any labels stateing such? its so far from green tech and rather a by product from another DIRTY industry. my house is surrounded by soy beans and we're I mean my family and I are organic growers. lol. can you picture the next gen electric vehicles wired up with it? I picture exploding cars just like the exploding lithium ion battery in cheap vapes.... lol.

I know GM just started using the soy wiring with the 2019? model year.... whenever they stopped providing a transmission dipstick.

I'm definitely not an expert, I'm just trying to get educated in what I like or need to know. and also educated in facts of why I wont buy a new vehicle. haha.

Cheers!

Al
Mine are thirty years old and they haven't turned to dust. I took them off and cleaned them last year and they are still fine. If you live in the north where salt corrodes everything this may be the case, but no matter where you live everything has a maintenance schedule, and a lifetime.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
OP has a point...

If anyone on here needed this mod I would be in the top 3 IMO

I never did the big 3 and I run a Winch,2 50 inch light bars, 2 fog lights and 2 back up lights. (cant count the rock lights as theyve never been hooked up) a CB 3 power accessories and a inverter in my rig amongst some other random things. All are driven from a 15 item water proof Bus center. Ive never felt like I needed this. the only time I notice a "load" on my electrical system is if the winch is activated at night or im counter turning into a rut and the power steering pulls the motor RPMs down also at night which i can tell because the lights on the truck will dim slightly. Add to this the truck spent the last 10 years in NJ with salt and up until last year got heavily weekend wheeled 5-6 times a year for unfavorable conditions. The only thing i cant speak to is audio systems but Id bet money my winch definitly pulls more load than most systems out there. Of all this and the truck with its age ive only managed to have to replace one ground wire due to abrasion and grounding out on frame. (probably due to corrugated roads.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I like the soft glow of halogen headlamps, and mine have enough light for me. Someone mentioned inrush current, I only think that term was applicable in circuits with larger capacitors which draw high current till charged as in audio equipment and antique tube radios.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned inrush current, I only think that term was applicable in circuits with larger capacitors which draw high current till charged as in audio equipment and antique tube radios.
Electric motors have gigantic inrush current. Until the armature starts turning, they represent an almost-dead-short.

Between the time the switch contacts close, and the armature starts spinning, inrush current is almost unmeasurably high. It takes REAL test equipment to even get close.

But the time factor makes inrush current a non-issue. As the armature spins, it generates "Back Electro-Motive Force" (Back EMF) which counters the amperage draw of the motor. The faster the armature spins, the more Back EMF and the less current drawn. As the armature achieves a stable speed, the current draw similarly stabilizes.

The practical consideration here, is "From the time you turn the key, until you hear the starter motor cranking...how much time elapses?" The length of time the inrush current is flowing is so short as to be of no importance when sizing the main motor cables.

OTOH, charging capacitors in audio amplifiers can and does burn-out the switches and relays used to turn the amplifier on, if the designer isn't careful, or the cost accountants have a hissy-fit. Many if not most audio amplifiers uses a soft-start circuit that cuts voltage for the first few seconds after "turn-on" so the power supply capacitors charge "slowly" with reduced current. After a second or three (60 to 180 AC voltage cycles through the transformer) a relay bypasses the soft-start circuit so the capacitors get unrestricted access to the transformer output voltage. The stereo amplifier in my icon picture uses a power switch rated for use with a 1/4-horsepower electric motor, just to engage the soft-start circuit. Twin 1200VA (Sort of, but not exactly 2 x 1200-watt) transformers charge the ~130,000uF capacitor bank.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Still an upgrade to aged wires.
2. Quality built in USA by a forum member. So, how much dough would be saved by using OEM gauge wires?
3. A little pricey? Yes, but what isn’t that’s quality?
4. Thanks, I’m happy with mine, so I’ll skip the “Stick in the Mud” opinion.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of points I didn’t see made,

1: if you add up all the loads in a “worst case scenario” (wipers, highbeams, defrost, a/c full blast etc…) and compare that to the output rating of the alternator you’ll see that it’s either more load than rated or pretty dern close

B: AWG (American wire gauge) hasn’t been standardized. Comparing two different brands in the same gauge might get you the same “size” cable but when you compare the actual stranded wires inside the insulation, I’ve seen as big of a difference as half!

Also: copper coated aluminum wire is garbage and the inventor should have his toes stepped on by large women wearing Birkenstock’s.