Beware! Fuel sender problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got stranded by my truck, had to get towed home ($60)

I tested some stuff and came to the conclusion the pump had gone bad (again).....

My new pump arrived ($93 with strainer), put it all together and......nothing.

Finally I looked where I didn't expect, the fuel sending units wiring. Which is just over a year old, (conveniently past its warranty period.) I had no continuity between the external gray wire and the internal red wire (at the pump.)

There must have been a bad connection, or loose....the wire got hot enough to melt the plastic, which heated and cooled until the connection was insulated....
You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Actually, it's a fairly common failure point....IIRC, there's even a repair kit for it from GM......

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Seen that on Astro Vans and newer trucks alot. New pumps come with new pigtail connectors because of this problem

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This unit is a spectra....if I can just get a replacement pigtail, that would be easiest. Otherwise i was thinking about soldering the connectors together.

edit: I took apart the harness and cleaned the terminals, and soldered them together,.....GOOD TO GO!!!!!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: