Best way to fool O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not going to say that I approve of this, nor will I name any names of possible people I know, but if you leave the rear O2's after the cats out of the exhaust pipe, and expose them to constant fresh air... I dont know, like attached to an open area under the frame, that the O2's will recognize the difference from the front o2 sensors and wont kick a code due to the computer thinking the Cat is working.... just something I have seen done with certain OBDII vehicles... .
Have heard alot of people do this and it has worked for them. Never done it myself (never had cats on anything)

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a frequently asked question lol but hey at least you've got the answers :headbang:
Yes it is, and I have had my simulators on my truck for over 1 year. They work very well, and are easy to make. It seems like everyone ask this question in a different way. Make a set or buy a set from Bigdadies if you want to remove or gut your cats, THEY WORK !!!!!!

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could always just get a tune... More money but way less work. Plus it would make the truck a lot more fun to drive.

BigBadRegCab

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true but I heard if u cut out the cats and put a pipe in with a nut welded on there and a hole drilled through to thread the sensor back in that there will be no check engine light on

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true but I heard if u cut out the cats and put a pipe in with a nut welded on there and a hole drilled through to thread the sensor back in that there will be no check engine light on
Not going to work on 1996 on up, OBD2 trucks. The ECM is looking for a difference in the front and rear 02 sensors. If you have no cat, there will be no difference in 02 from the front to the rear sensors.

Last edited:

gmachinz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a water fuel cell system you can also read the resistance valve on the 0-5V reference signals at the sensors and extend the lean limits as far as the ecm will let you go. This way, only minimal fuel is used-this can be done on the harness anywhere-this is done to limit the amount of fuel getting dumped and instead you adjust the amount of mono-atomic hydrogen gas instead-this is where big power AND high fuel economy research comes in.

digdug18

Reaction score
Split Second, used to sell signal modifiers, and I think they still might, but that could possibly require more digging on their site or an email. Though replacement cats would be the most reliable option.

http://splitsec.com

How much louder do you want the exhaust? Have you considered upturned tips, or a megaphone style exhaust? Both will yield varying amounts of increased exhaust noise.