Best valve cover gasket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I had good luck with Fel-Pro on 2 new builds.

I'll also say I gave a set of used '92 valve covers and gaskets to my brother-in-law to use for his Vortec head swap on his squarebody. Had 140,000-some miles on them and had been sitting in a storage tote for 13 years after that. Gaskets were still soft and pliable to my surprise. No sealant required, just clean surfaces.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The silicone gaskets are good, but they do eventually leak. I need to do the ones on my 454. The gasket on my Saturn leaked, but that had been reused and had rtv added to it by someone....possibly the dealer :-/

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most gaskets...sure. That'd be crazy.

But those nice rubber center-bolt valve cover gaskets? Hell, yes. if they look good, they probably are good. And it's not like they're highly stressed. The valve cover rail on the 86-up heads is raised above the oil level, not like the perimeter-bolt heads.

Now, if the used gaskets are stretched-out, or cracking, or somehow disfigured, leave 'em in the junkyard.
WOW, junkyard gaskets! I thought I was cheap, but I have to say, at the price of the new ones I would probably consider it. As long as they work. SCORE!