Best Stock Height Leaf Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like the title says, what's the best option for factory height rear leaf springs? My truck has developed a lean to one side, and I've finally got it narrowed down to one spring wearing out faster than the other. So, I'm in the market for a new set of springs. OEM GM is always an option, but from what I can find they're around $400 per side. A little spendy, but if this is the best quality option I'll do what I have to do. LMC has them for around $150 each, Rock Auto has Dormans and a few other brands I've never heard of for around $170 each. Any experience with any of these? Any other options I'm missing? I'm open to any suggestions, including possible upgrades (as long as they don't involve serious modification or changing my ride height).

Also what's the general feeling on polyurethane spring bushings? Side note to that, I've read that these trucks have two different sizes of spring bushings. Is that something to be concerned about when I'm ordering new springs? Will I need to make sure anything matches up?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't bought any new leaf springs but I've seen more than a few people seem to be happy with Husky Spring. http://www.huskyspring.com/themelanding/default179.aspx brand they carry is Dayton, which might even be US-made - but I'd ask to be sure.

As far as spring bushing sizes, the springs should come with them already so the size shouldn't be in question.

Polyurethane? Ehhh, they'll be noisy as hell even if you grease them, and I'm here to tell you polyurethane doesn't always hold up better than rubber. Semi-related: I've had more than a few poly shock bushings crumble into tiny bits and go away, where you can see many examples of 200K+ totally worn-out OEM shocks with rubber bushings still intact.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't bought any new leaf springs but I've seen more than a few people seem to be happy with Husky Spring. http://www.huskyspring.com/themelanding/default179.aspx brand they carry is Dayton, which might even be US-made - but I'd ask to be sure.

As far as spring bushing sizes, the springs should come with them already so the size shouldn't be in question.

Thank you! I was not aware of Husky Spring/Dayton, those prices look pretty great! Definitely looking into them as an option. Thanks for the info about the bushing sizes as well.

Polyurethane? Ehhh, they'll be noisy as hell even if you grease them, and I'm here to tell you polyurethane doesn't always hold up better than rubber. Semi-related: I've had more than a few poly shock bushings crumble into tiny bits and go away, where you can see many examples of 200K+ totally worn-out OEM shocks with rubber bushings still intact.

This is exactly what my mechanic told me when he did the shocks on my red truck. I had the Energy Suspension bushings ready to go, and he all but flat out refused to use them in favor of the included Bilstein rubber bushings. Figured he must know better than me, this confirms it.

I would get in touch with these people, they have a lot of information on their site. They can also build a pack with stock height, lowering, or lift springs as well, they aren't much more than the stock replacement.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Ooh, Eaton Products! Shiny! Seriously though, thanks for this. I love this company and had no idea they were into spring production. Just requested a quote from them. If it's not too ridiculous then I'll definitely be going with them.

Thanks guys!