Best Power for Money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morrisman1701

Reaction score
So I've done quite a bit of looking around but I couldn't find the answers I needed, so I hope I'm not creating a redundant thread.

I have a 95 Sierra with a bone stock TBI 350. It also has 3" exhaust with an unknown muffler that came on the truck. I'm trying to figure out what the best power for money (hp per $) mods are to start out, because this thing is gutless. I know it didn't come out of the factory with much power to begin with, but this is ridiculous. I've seen elsewhere on the forum that I should get a Volant intake for it, but what else is there? Should I put a cam in, or a chip, etc? Specific recommendations would be appreciated if you have any. Thanks in advance for your help!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the basics. Do a full tune up including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and fuel filter. Do a compression check while the plugs are out. Check the timing, it should be 0 degrees with the est wire disconnected. While the timing light is out point it at the injectors while it is running and verify a nice even cone of fuel spraying. If you have over a 100k on the o2 sensor, swap it. Check the resistance of the coolant temp sensor to verify that the engine is properly in loop. Once you've established a healthy engine in good condition swing by your local exhaust shop and have them check the cat to make sure that it isn't plugging up.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Anything you gain in power you will lose somewhere else in mileage, drivability, or dependability.

I never thought those 350 TBI's were gutless, at least running properly. It's a truck. It weighs 4000 lbs. +. It isn't a Camaro.

Every time I've seen someone carve one up, they run like **** from then on, and they aren't any faster. People THINK they are faster because it's louder and sucks twice as much fuel with their "mods", but in reality, they are often no faster if they went to the dragstrip before and after. And now it drivabilty and fuel mileage are **** and they have to find a sucker to buy their carved up piece of **** that runs like crap.

If you want all you can get and still have good drivabilty, put a 454 in it with the 454 TBI setup and prom.

Tom

Last edited:

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 350 TBI bone stock runs great and I've always been satisfied with the power it makes, and making 16 mpg is pretty good considering what it is. I have to add though that I keep fresh ignition components on it and I'm meticulous about maintenance. Swapping the 3.08 gears out for 3.42 when we rebuilt the rear diffy was the best mod there is as far as I'm concerned. Made night and day difference in drivability.
The best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned would be a diesel swap if you've gotthe money, or skill. Hard to argue with 800 lbs of torque pulling 20+ mpg. Alot of ppl will tell you LS swap is the way to go, and they're not wrong, but I think they are overrated for the kinda money you would have to spend to do it what I would consider "right".

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
As was mentioned, make sure the engine is in good shape before spending any money on it. Over time, there can be many issues that crop up and reduce economy and power.

Check fuel pressure, best to do this under full load. Change fuel filter if you haven't done so.
If you have access to a Volt-Ohm Meter, check the engine grounds for excess resistance. Replace / repair as necessary. Check EGR for stuck pintle / proper operation.

With the distributor cap and rotor off, inspect the pole magnet in the distributor for cracks around where the rivets hold the assembly together. A crack in the magnet gives you additional lines of flux, sending false signals to the computer. Check injector spray pattern, a fast flashing strobe light ( can use a timing light ) will show you how the injectors are spraying.

While near the throttle body, and engine OFF, open the throttle slightly by hand and check for play, trying to wiggle the shaft forward and backwards towards the driver's seat. Any wear is no good, you should replace or bush the throttle shaft. Check the TPS for proper voltage at idle, WOT and the range in between with an analog volt ohm meter, so you can see if there are any 'dead' spots in the TPS.

Also, check to make sure the tires are properly inflated, the alignment is OK, and that you have no dragging brakes. Check the basics if you can, the easy cheap stuff that often gets overlooked.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
definitely relate.
want more juice for towing etc. 200hp 310 lbft, good v6 specs :)
tbi mods + cam, exhaust etc .. $$ for a few HP and torque, cons, tuning issues etc.
LS swap = $$$ for parts, expertise.
Crate HT383, $ imo 1st best option, cons tuning issues etc.
expanded search, gearvendors, $, cons $.

good info from the experts on making sure the TBI is operating at its best.:hail:

thoughts on gearvendor?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I agree with skylark, that will definitely guarantee your truck running very efficiently. the 2 things I have not regretted doing after that, is having the TBI Rebuilt and modified (spr performance) and ceramic coated headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMACGMC