best OBD1 scantool?? Misfire/backfire ? at cruising speeds 65-70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah that sounds like a good idea plus I read that the burban has a crossmember right above the fuel pump assembly so it might be a losing battle.

Daniel907

Reaction score
jrollings, does it occur during a specific rpm range? I something similar that happened when I would give it about 3/4 pedal from 55-60 and it just wouldn't go anywhere. I thought it was the fuel pump, but my pops (being the old man he is) took the dizzy apart and found the pickup was corroded. That may be the source of your problem, and I don't think anyone has mentioned that.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel, I PM'd you. I looked at the pickup coil the other night and there was something on top of it that kinda of rotated and no it wasn't the rotor lol. It seemed like a cover for the pickup coil. How do you replace it? Do you have to remove the dizzy?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
what now? you talking about the coil hold down clamp? Coil is sealed with epoxy resin noting should come off it. I read through the trouble shooting in my manual and for your symptoms it point to fuel pump or vacuum leak in the intake or malfunctioning emissions components.
I know you said the egr looks new, but if its a duralast from autozone then that's probably the cause because the recycled chipotle wrappers its constructed of failed haha.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No lol the pick coil inside the dizzy. I can at least ohm it out. I know for a fact there isn't an intake leak. The egr, I dunno where it was purchased from. Might be the Chipotle wrappers. Damn I'll have to go there more often so I can make my own!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
oh ok. lol the wrappers for duralast came about when I got a duralast exhaust donut gasket and the next day it failed and pulled apart like chipotle wrappers hahaha. I guess you could check for excessive play in the dizzy shaft. But sounds like you need to wait for the fuel pressure tester to arrive.