Best Diesel engine and transmission for a swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all , this is my 1st post and several part question. I have a 2000 GMC crew cab 2500 (K20 ?) 4x4 7.4 ltr Vortec and auto tranny ..- however it is the 1998 body/cab style. I want to swap out the 7.4 ltr 454 for a diesel engine- I am an old Marine and was looking at either a 6.2 or 6.5 Turbo (from the Hummer) type engine since I know it and it worked well in all the hummers that I drove and road in over several years and tours overseas. HOWEVER I have read that some of the newer diesels are better. I wont be doing the work but I will be buying the parts so here are my questions.

1) What diesel engine would be the best to swap in to the truck for MPG ?
2) Could I use my current Transfer case and Tranny? if not what combo do I need?
3) In detail what are the items needed other that the engine- will I need a new computer - a new wiring harness- will it work with my stock gauges? Fuel tank and lines? what have I missed?
4) solid axle swap what brand is best or proven? Cost? I am not a big fan of IFS and want to run 35's - I don't mind thew ride of a straight axle - who makes a straight forward kit? who has done this and what advice do you have can give me?? I love the truck - its paid off and has the room and bed space I enjoy I am just unhappy with the 454 now that gas is so costly.
Thanks in advanced --Taco Ed..

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Best engine for you to use for that truck would be a P Pumped 12v Cummins. It will be the easiest swap to do for you. The 12v Cummins is very reliable and can be tuned very easily.

You can use your current trans and transfer case with an adapter from a company like Destroked. http://www.destroked.com/prod_adapters.php
Look around on the destroked site for a bit. You can also buy the motor mounts for your application from them. Since your trans is electronically controlled you will also need to get a stand alone transmission controller. You can find a few different brands of those on the Destroked site also. I have the PCS trans controller and it has worked very well for me. It offers a lot of different tuning capabilities.

You will need to modify the sending unit in your fuel tank a bit to work with the engine. It's pretty simple to do. There are also a bunch of different methods for getting your factory gauges to work with the engine.

For the SAS I would use the fabworx kit with a Dana 44 HP. I would actually make another thread on the SAS for the truck as to not get a bunch of information on both the SAS and the engine swap in the same thread. It may get confusing.

Check out this build thread on a 12v swap into a GMT400 burb. There is a lot of information in there that will help you.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...ersion-Build-up-with-pics&highlight=silverado

Here's a few more threads with some great information.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...-best-rad-and-intercooler&highlight=silverado

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?23360-best-tps-to-use-4l80e&highlight=silverado

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
don't bother with the 6.5, way, way too many issues with those blocks and cracking and weak cranks

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I will check it all out. Awesome!!

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also got some info on the Duraburbinc shop down in FLA however I can not find any contact info anyone have that ? Can you tell me why my truck is a 2000 yr model but w/ the 98 body? Did it have any changes form the 98 K 20's? Do you think a Dmax and Al-tranny will fit my truck?

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldn't find the contact info for you, but I have seen some 2000 trucks with the OBS. They made VERY few of those in 2000, they really just kept going because alot of guys liked the OBS. It was more manly then the NBS. If you wanna throw a newer d max and an ally tranny in there then go for it. But I go +1 with the Cummins. Cummins diesels are far easier to do anything with then the d max of any year. Either one will fit you just gotta find the right brackets for the motor.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you tell me why my truck is a 2000 yr model but w/ the 98 body? Did it have any changes form the 98 K 20's? Do you think a Dmax and Al-tranny will fit my truck?
The 99 and 2000 trucks that were 3/4 ton or 1 tons were the old body style. No changes that I am aware of, we just order all of our parts for a 98 because the idiots at our local parts counter can't order the correct parts any other way. I have only seen a handful of allison swaps online and all of them had a bodylift. I'm not sure if it is required or not.

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks a lot for all the input and advice, I am not sure what to swap in as of now.. Dman - Cummings - 6.5 TD - There is nothing wrong w/ my 7.4 but the MPG and I would like to have a diesel in case of the Zombie attack :) -- I love the truck I just dont know much about it hence thats why I am here with a lot of silly -asked a 100 times questions. I see a lot of great looking truck here as well and want to borrow a lot of your ides and add on's.. I am still looking for that Street Scene Illuminated dash bezel. I also would like to look at mixing a wood and brushed metal dash kit for a little cockpit up grade and wet Olkie green camo seat covers -- I like the old school duck hunter camo look-- I do plan to to a SAS and if you guys have any other advice etc pass it this way. Same with good gear or stores in the Houston Texas/ Angelton area. same w/ swap meets.