Best after market brands for replacement gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had another GMT400 now for about 2 weeks. It's a 97 K1500 6.5L TD. Paired up with a 4L80E, NP243 and 14bolt SF rear end.

Unfortunately that's where my problem arises. Saturday night I picked my buddy up and was on my way back home when i heard a loud bang and lost power. When i got out to check the truck the rear end had a hole in it and all the fluid was on the ground.

Needless to say I Grenade80d my rear end. Truck doesnt even stay still in park. Im buying all new bearings, new pinion and ring gears, a LSD and a Mag-Hytec diff cover. Im just wondering what brands and/or vendors are the best for getting quality gears and bearings?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I'm a fan of Richmond for any gears I buy, car or truck. They make great master install kits as well that include the nice Timken bearings, which is what I would look for in that regard.

You didn't ask about carriers, but I'm going to give you an opinion anyway. :lol: Go Eaton or go home. Detroit Locker if you want a real locker, or a TrueTrac if you want it to behave like a standard posi.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Personally I'm a fan of Richmond for any gears I buy, car or truck. They make great master install kits as well that include the nice Timken bearings, which is what I would look for in that regard.

You didn't ask about carriers, but I'm going to give you an opinion anyway. :lol: Go Eaton or go home. Detroit Locker if you want a real locker, or a TrueTrac if you want it to behave like a standard posi.

Was already planning on going with an Eaton LSD.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was already planning on going with an Eaton LSD.

The standard posi? If so at least consider the TrueTrac. Same exact function as the regular posi units, but with helical gears instead of clutch packs so there's nothing to wear out. A little more $$$, but not too bad. I have one in my Monte and love it.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the TrueTrac when I regeared mine. Only issue they have is when one wheel is in the air, or barely touching the ground. As far as gears, I went with Yukon gears.

Sent from my iPhone

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, definitely something to consider. A posi or TrueTrac will free-wheel if one wheel comes off the ground. Might not be the best choice if you off-road regularly. A locker will spin both tires regardless.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
FYI you could put it in 4 wheel so it won't roll while in park, and even move around if needed!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yukon makes quality stuff. I'm running Yukon gears front and rear with a Yukon duragrip clutch style LSD.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Richmond, Motive, G2, and Yukon are all brands I have used with good results.

My Trailblazer with the same rear axles has Motive brand gears in it with a Detroit, no complaints, have about 20,000 on it.