Bearings or New Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iggyspred

Reaction score
I have a 96 K1500 with 217000 miles on it. Runs strong, I regularly take it on 500+ mile road trips through the Rockies. However, with 217k miles I know I am at high risk for a spun bearing. I would like opinions on whether a bottom end rebuild ie rod and main bearings plus a rear main seal or a new engine is the way to go. At the moment I don't have funds for either, but I would like some feedback on which would be the better goal.
You must be registered for see images attach

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I would say run it till it dies then new engine, but don't be scared my 94 has 306,000 miles on the engine. Its noisy but runs good. Where in Colorado are you?

iggyspred

Reaction score
Thats good to hear. Ive heard about them hitting 350k but also crapping out at less than 200k. Im down by Chatfield.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're at no significant risk for a spun rod bearing than any other mechanical failure if your oil pressure is still within limits.

Ride 'er till she bucks!

:)

iggyspred

Reaction score
Cool. Oil pressure stays 20-45 psi which i believe is right where it should be. Thanks for the quick replies.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run her till she blows, I lost my bottom end going 65 down the freeway with the cruise set with 120,000 miles. I think you would be nuts to tear into the motor to just do a bottom end with that many miles. If it was my situation Id drive her till she starts using oil or craps out on you. Then I would rebuild the same motor, if it ran that long its gotta be a good motor, everything is true and straight. Good chance it wont need line bored, just clean everything up, bore it out, and go for round 2

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run her till she blows, I lost my bottom end going 65 down the freeway with the cruise set with 120,000 miles. I think you would be nuts to tear into the motor to just do a bottom end with that many miles. If it was my situation Id drive her till she starts using oil or craps out on you. Then I would rebuild the same motor, if it ran that long its gotta be a good motor, everything is true and straight. Good chance it wont need line bored, just clean everything up, bore it out, and go for round 2

mine cracked a head at ~118k miles, I replaced both heads and everything above them, then at ~123k miles going down the freeway the trans lost 3rd + 4th gear and then the engine stalled while holding 55mph in 2nd gear...totally ***** the rear main bearing when it locked up tight like that.

happens!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
263k on my oe engine here. She leaks a tad an is a little noisy on a cold morning but still going strong. Save up enough to have it replaced when it an goes an just see how long it will last. That's my plan anyways....

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes. It usually depends on how you take care of the engine. Not saying the ones that die early is because of the owner not maintaining it, but it's usually the reason.

My opinion is that if you're going to rebuild the bottom end you might as well just rebuild the whole thing since you're already tearing into it. Same as if you just wanted to rebuild the heads. Might as well just rebuild the whole thing and rebuild what you already have. I see no problem using the same block as long as it's not cracked anywhere. At the most a machine shop would have to smoothing out the cylinder walls. If it was me if you're going to rebuild the whole thing, if you have the money I would turn it into a 383 stroker while you're at it, but that's me.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it my grandfather always says. Brand new engines blow up and some run to a million miles.

In the event of a failure, I would definitely lean toward new engine over rebuilding old if I had the money.