Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had an issue starting the truck recently. Last night, it gave a metallic "clunk" when I turned the key. Tried it every once in a while for about 5 minutes, and that's all it did. Let it sit for 20 minutes, and it turned over normally and started right up.

Today I drove around and did some errands, started just fine. Went to leave this afternoon, same thing, metallic clunk. I checked my battery cables, mostly clean with a little corrosion. I cleaned them off with a wire brush, still clunking.

So I climbed under and pulled the starter, took it to Autozone (lifetime warranty). They tested it and said it was good, but replaced it anyways (for free). Got back, installed new starter, same thing. Clunk.

I checked the battery with a multimeter (ignition off), and it topped out around 12.2 volts, and I've been reading they should be around 12.6. Would this be enough to cause my starting issuse? Is there anything else you can think of that I should take a look at?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
12.2 might be a little bit low, I'd take the battery up to a parts store and have them load test it. You might try jumping it with another vehicle, if that fixes it then I'd say the battery is the problem. I've had one die on me just like that, went into a store and left the radio on for a buddy for literally 2 minutes and by the time I came back I needed a jump. That battery wouldn't hold a charge at all after that last drain.

EDIT - Not really sure about the clunk noise, though. When I had my battery issue it was more of a single click.

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check battery voltage while you are attempting to crank engine, shouldn't go below 10.5 volts. If it does then battery is on its way out.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Sounds like the battery. A fully charged battery is 12.8vDC. Check voltage with it running and the headlights on, Should be 14.0 - 14.4 volts. Clean both ends of both battery cables.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Jump started it with my dad's truck this morning (we have some 4 gauge welding cable that's 20 feet long we use for jumper calbes. Best set ever).

Started right up, voltage was reading about 14. Went and disconnected the cables. Got back in to check it, and the voltage had dropped to 11, looks like the alternator is going away today. It might be the original. Just thought I'd update, so I'm guessing my battery is good, it just wasn't getting a good charge from the alternator, so it wouldn't have enough power to fully engage the starter.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have them both tested, if you get a new alternator have them test it before you leave the store with it. Hopefully you wont need both, niether is cheap but the cost of a battery will blow you away.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I got both of them tested, just to be sure. It was the battery.

Walked out with a new one for $140 total. 850 CCA, and it's a 3 year free replacement warranty, and then pro-rated for 3 years after that. So if it fails in less than 6 years, I get a new one for free or a discounted price. The old one wasn't quite 4 years old yet, that's why I was surprised it died on me.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
if the voltage was that low and the alternator was good, the battery must have had a shorted cell in it. Glad its fixed up. Keep an eye on the voltage for a bit. If the battery drug down the alternator that bad it may have strained it.