Bars stop leak question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Another question. I put bar's stop leak in the other day and havent had any ill affects. Stopped alot of the leak and was wondering
A.) what ill affects could this stuff cause
B.) has anyone used it before?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you use the brown stuff or the aluminum? I was in a pinch over 4th of july week and used the brown bars leak because I had a bottle handy, it sealed the leak but let go yesterday.If it continues leaking get the aluminum bars leak or do what I did and replace the radiator.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I've always considered Bars leak and Silver solder as a temp fix. To get me home at best. Best thing to do is find the leak and repair it the correct way.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
What was leaking to cause you to put in the Bars Leaks?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah radiator keep leaking coolant. probably every 5-6 days of normal driving 30-60 miles a day and the over flow would be empty and it dripped on the the driver side front frame rail right by the body mount. bars has stopped it, i will eventually change it but im not really in the position to buy a new one and put it in

Was just wondering if it would cause like a real bad complication

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have heard horror stories, but I've used the stuff with no ill effects. It's not going to be a permanent fix on the radiator and I wouldn't keep adding it because I think that is where the problems start is from multiple use. It works really well sometimes if you have a gasket that is leaking a little.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I used it a couple times when I was plagued with coolant leaks before I had the money to throw at all of them lol.. when I did the intake manifold gaskets this winter, 2 out of 4 coolant passages were blocked off completely solid with carbon. Whether the build up is related to the bars leak... I have no idea.

Campoli

Reaction score
I used bars in a 96 Nissan pickup and never fixed it lasted over a year before I rolled her