Ball joints.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldnt find this in 3 pages of searched threads.

Are all ball joints on this generation truck bolt on to the upper control arm? And if so I'm just concerned because I've never seen the bolts or rivets on the upper control arm. And would that mean the lowers are too or are they pressed in. Napa and Advanced website show the uppers being bolt on. Its a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe and the upper ball joints are SHOT! So I'm looking to replace and need your advice opposed to the keyboard warriors at my local shop. Thanks guys.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
they should be all bolt on. If you still have the factory ball joints they will be riveted in. new ball joints come with new hardware

don't get duralast

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Ill just drill the out and bolt in new ones. I always go moog anyway.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rivets are kind of a pain to get out. Don't expect to just drill them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have air access just use an air chisel. They slice off like a hot knife sluces through butter...

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MOOG sells new upper control arms with new upper ball joints already installed. I think its their lower line of ball joints, but the ball joint isn't riveted in on the new arms, so its much easier to replace the ball joints. Went this route on my truck.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
MOOG sells new upper control arms with new upper ball joints already installed. I think its their lower line of ball joints, but the ball joint isn't riveted in on the new arms, so its much easier to replace the ball joints. Went this route on my truck.

you could do this, but keep in mind you will need an alignment after. if you are doing it on the cheap you can just replace the ball joints and not get an alignment for a little while.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The warranty is less on these. I think I'm going this route on my Blazer as well. Warranty or not, having a shop do this is too much money. Enough that the whole thing can be swapped out several times for less money.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean Napa's upper control arms with the ball joints are pushing $180 per control arm. My lowers have been deemed good. I have access to air tools to do the swap but is the extra 130ish dollars worth the extra "convience."

Anyone on here do them, and are they a total ***** because I wanted them done come spring and any other tips other than the chisel would be nice. Thank you.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Torch is by far the easiest way to do it. cut the rivets and the ball joint up. Wash it all away until its level with the control arm. While the rivets are still red hot, knock them out with a hammer and punch. Done LOL