Bad fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikey1994

Reaction score
I've got a 1995 Chevy k1500 in lifted six inches and am running 35's. I'm only getting 200 miles to a tank. I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I would really appreciate it of I could get some help on whether something is wrong with my mileage or not. Thanks.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
200 miles to a tank is rather ambiguous...

You need to add in a bit more information such as:

Vehicle location ( Texas vs Minnesota ) will have a huge influence in fuel economy ( ambient temperatures ) as well as elevation.

Driving cycle: Ice cold starts at -20 in MN and a trip through drive through in the morning along with short trip and city traffic kills mileage.

Tune up? MIL lamp on? ( check engine ) Poor injector spray pattern, vacuum leaks, thermostat, grounding issues, etc can all be issues.

Stuck brake caliper, over-adjusted brake shoes, broken center bolt, worn suspension / steering parts and poor alignment can scrub off a lot of MPG.

Not to mention big tires with lugs eating mileage. What gearing and transmission? Stock 3.42 would suck big time trying to run that size of rubber. I have 3.73's with 245/75/16's, and considering running a bit shorter tire.

mikey1994

Reaction score
Pennsylvania is where I live I did the lift kit and did not change the rears they are 342 rears.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
just putting this here for a comparison. I got the 350 tbi 4l60e and 4:56's on 35's and I get consistently 280 to a tank with a bad tcc solenoid so I am not locking up at cruising speeds all the time. I was getting 300+ before this issue.

This is at roughly 6000ft elevation.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
yeah. gears are probably killing it. So If you just suddenly experienced a decrease I would say check the coolant temp sensor, egr, vacuum leaks, clogged cat, dirty fuel and air filters, weak coil ..etc. all of these things can also play a role in how many mpg's per tank you average.

Having everything working right will save you a lot in gas.

Suspension can also play a role in bad mpg. When was your last alignment? hit any pot holes?

I try to keep the rpm under 2500 all the time, mostly around 2000. Not sure if this is possible with 3:42's or whatever.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Regear to 4.11 or 4.56 with more hilly driving and you will be blown away at mpg and power comparison. Your speedo is reading off also, so that 200 miles could be more or less. I'm not good with that kind of math. Your transmission will thank you...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I have played around with figuring how "off" the miles are and here is what I figured.

It makes sense to me that it would be off I am also math stupid so lets just say its saying your going more miles than you are.

I used gps on my iPhone and reset my trip miles and its correct all the time unless I go over 200 miles then you start to see its slightly off. so it cant be off by that much, either way it doesn't bother me.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I need a GPS to set mph and **** on mine since someone pulled my needles and whatnot to put a gauge overlay on...
You must be registered for see images attach

I hate people... -_-