Bad EGR valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
hello guys I'm having yet again issues with my truck. After sitting overnight and I start driving the truck would have a rather annoying stall when I press lightly the accelerator, feels like it wants to die, unless I floor it and it picks up. This happens until the truck reaches operating temperature. Any idea what it could be? May be the egr?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It can be one of the symptoms of a bad EGR (or incorrect one for the application, for someone who just replaced theirs and this problem results.)

About the cheapest way to find out is to temporarily eliminate the EGR valve. You can try unplugging the vacuum line from it, but if it's opening when it shouldn't because of a broken internal spring, that won't necessarily stop it. You may need to remove it and either buy or make a blockoff plate to use as a test. Don't run it like that for long; no EGR (without a custom tune) will result in spark knock/detonation.

If you order a new one be sure to go AC Delco / Delphi only, and research your part # carefully for the application.

Richard