Aux. radiator fan barely turns ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So maybe someone can school me please. Saturday I noticed at signals the temp would climb so I checked at home and with the A/C on, the aux. fan just barely spins so obviously not helping the temp.
When should it come on, is it whenever the a/c is turned on or is there a relay/sensor that tells it to run ??
Thanks
Bobby V

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 93 c2500 with a 454, it's triggered off a coolant sensor in the head. Passenger side, I think. I wired in a relay so that now it comes on any time the AC clutch is engaged. I did it more to help the AC system stay cool than to help with overheating, but same same. Helped a bit, didn't cost much, and works fine.

Mike

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Head pressure on the AC and temps over 225F on my Vortec.

It doesn't run much. If it's not turning full speed something is probably wrong.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my backyard mentality I tried to jump start it directly from the battery, whether or not I had the jumper wires inserted into the plug correctly I don't know but I think they were and it didn't even turn at all, tried it 3=4 times and no go. Makes me think the fan motor is bad ??? Its never run at full speed that I have seen, always lollygagin at very slow speed
Bobby V

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
check your connections and soldered joints (or un-soldered joints will for sure cause this problem). My plow truck slowly started loosing cooling fan speed until I re-wired the whole system that a PO hacked. They blow hard now :)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gonna get up to 100* today, I wouldn't go anywhere until I got this fixed, I may not go anywhere anyway, lol

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has probably never worked. Lollygaging as you say, I thought I was about the only one left that uses that word, will happen when the clutch fan is engaging and pulling a good amount of air thru the radiator. Just that amount of air flow will make the electric fan seem like it is turning slowly. 12 volts should make that sucker sing!

Last edited:

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya Playin, 106' right now, whew. I had to get out of the garage even with the swamper on, its too figgin hot !!!! :bawl:
Jack E, I pickd that up from I think the movie Bull Durham lol. Or maybe "The Natural"
I am pretty sure that motor has given up the ghost, hope that's it anyways, we'll see but until its fixed the ole SS aint moving
Bobby V

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard lollygagging before quite a few times (can't remember where), also jaw jackin' or hammer lippin'.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as Im playing around with this GD idle problem this morning, yeah still, I noticed the aux fan is spinning about 40rpms, still very slow so that indicates its getting power so that's one problem down right, and if its getting power there is nothing that regulates how much it gets is there? So it would seem likely the motor is bad to me, what say you gurus ??
And also can there be such price swings on apparently the same replacement motors between stores, they have the same part #'s, I don't get it
Bobby V