Autotrac delete (tcase swap?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
This morning there was some ice on the way to work so I figured I'd try the "Auto 4wd" on this 99 Sub.

It seems to have malfunctioned. I heard a thunk (still in Park) in the front, and when I tried to pull out of my Driveway, there was a lot of resistance in the drive train and steering felt wonky.

I'm assuming something went wrong with engaging the front.

I may do a gear swap in the future on both diffs (4.10 or 4.56) and may also convert to a floor shifter.

Can this tcase be reasonably swapped to a manual one or are there front components that I'd have to swap too? Not sure if the front differential is the same as a manual 4wd system.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know if it would affect anything but everytime I go into 4wd I gotta be in neutral. Then I go back into drive and carry on about my day. Maybe you have mismatched gears in the diffs? lol probably not much help just my random thoughts

redfishsc

Reaction score
Possibly mismatched gears, but the rear end doesn't drive like it's anything over the factory 3.42 that the RPO code indicates. But something to consider. I have a 4.10 in my 2wd Sub and it's way snappier. Used to be 3.42.

I found it odd that the 4wd tried to engage sitting still.

I'll double check the manual to make sure I wasn't supposed to be in neutral, but I think the Autotrac can be put in Auto in Park.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were you on dry pavement? 4wd will bind especially when maneuvering through a parking lot.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Were you on dry pavement? 4wd will bind especially when maneuvering through a parking lot.

Yes but it was in "Auto 4wd" meaning it should not have been fully engaged.
I have no idea why it fully engaged sitting still in Auto 4wd

I tried again after work, and it worked properly. Meaning, I put it in Auto 4wd, and was able to drive it just fine.

Then took it to some gravel and put it in 4Hi, and that also performed just fine. Went back to 2Hi just fine.

So I dunno.