Auto to manual swap in a 4x4. LOTS of questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, its been awhile since i've been on, and I would greatly appreciate some input. The rust devil has one the war with me and my 92 k1500. The frame wont pass inspection, and the body is pretty well shot as well. As fortune has it, my brother will be getting his new to him '06 6.0 on monday and has decided that he wants to keep his 94 k1500 in the family so its going to me. Props to you bro! I hate to see my 92 go as it runs good and is a 5 speed, but its too bad off structurally. My brother just rebuilt his 5.7 1400 miles ago and it runs really strong, but its an automatic, and i'm a 5 speed ****. Kinda a downer. Most pressing question I have is, how terrible would it be to put the 5 speed from my truck into his 94? I know it can be done, I'm assuming I will need to swap the computers, but how difficult is it to swap the internal stuff? Like the clutch pedal, stick, and things of that nature? Ideally I guess you would just swap cabs to make it easiest, but mine is pretty rusty, and his is pretty much pristine as he just painted the truck a year and a half ago. So we aren't going to be swapping out cabs. Also, will the transfer case from the auto work with the manual trans or does that need to be swapped out to? I know I'm asking alot, but I'm just trying to gauge if its worth it to do it or if I should just deal with the auto. Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance guys.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, after some more reading I've learned that swapping the pedals and clutch master cylinder shouldn't be to difficult. I guess the big question now is do I have to swap out computers between the trucks? And the transfer cases, will they be the same? Thanks again.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, now no one has answered me, and thats ok, I've decided that I will drive the truck with the auto in it for now. I'm gonna pull the trans out of my 92 and set it aside for now, its gonna need a clutch soon and I'm not financially ready for that at the moment. It still works good, but I'm not gonna put it in and then pull it again to do a clutch. So, I know I need the tranny, Master cylinder, slave cylinder, lines, and pedal assembly. I'm sure theres more, but thats what I know of. The 92 is going for scrap so I would really appreciate any info as to what else I should pull off of it to swap the 5 speed into the 94. Transfer case? Driveshaft? Computer? The sooner I get what I need out of it the sooner I can get the scrap outta here, so any info is greatly appreciated! Please and thank you guys!

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not much help but I'd go ahead and pull off anything you think you even might need. I'd rather have the parts and not need them than scrap the parts, then need them. After you're done with the swap, you can take what's left to scrap.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks boss, thats what i was thinking, just don't wanna leave some stupid little thing that i coulda had for free. Everything works awesome in the 92 now, so I know it all will work together, just not sure about the electronic stuff being different between the 92 and 94 model years. Thanks again, still think your truck is awesome man.

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
I can help you with any questions. I successfully mated a Gen I NV4500 to my old 383 and then later coupled it to my 6.0. It souunds like you have nearly everything you need with the donor truck. I can dig up my parts sheet if need be. Offhand I recall there is a divet in the firewall where you need to drill the two holes for your master cylinder. The manuals are of the same length as the autos so no need to change anything with driveshafts. Even the crossmembers are the same. You will need to pull the carpet back and cut out the square in "turtle shell" hump in the floor obviously. Get the clutch pedal out of the old truck. Some like to swap the brake pedal. I just cut mine to a smaller size and used a matching small pad. The transfer cases on the manuals are also NP241.. HOWEVER, they are a 32 spline version and your autos had a 28 spline. You will need the Tcase thats already on the manual. Better upgrade your clutch while in there. I have a Hayes part number that has been a fantastic choice. There will be some minor wiring things to attend to with regard to reverse switch and 4wd switch. Ill find that for you if you need it. Oh and a reprogram of the PCM Chip. but it sounds like you already have a computer. If the serials are the same, you will only need to swap out the chip inside the ECM. There shouldnt be any changes between the 92 and the 94 that you would have to be concerned about.

When I took this project on, I spent a solid month getting info, wiring schematics and part numbers. Once the garage pile was complete. The swap took nearly a weekend.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This is something I'm really considering, hopefully soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo