audio equipment now days-help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
I used to work at an install shop about 15 years ago. back then Alpine and Eclipse were really good, memphis was decent, along with kicker & JL. Rockford was on the way down, clarion was unreliable, and ect. My friend is wanting me help install a system for his daughter. The install is no problem, but what I need help with what is reliable and sounds good. I was on Crutchfield website and they are selling double DIN Kenwoods for $149. back in the day, I could sell you a $149 head unit, but it was not going to sound very good and did not have a ton of features. Is anybody here working in the industry to tell me what brands are reliable, and sound decent.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is your budget, what is the system going into, do you want a sub, do you want a touch screen? I have a Sony system (MEX-N5000BT head unit, 4x6 in front, 4 inch speakers in center console) with two Rockford 6.75 inch speakers in boxes behind the seat powered by a Rockford amp. I love my system and absolutely love the head unit. With that said there are a lot of different opinions now on what is good. I personally don't like kicker, but a lot of my friends make all over them like they are the best.

Just my opinion but if you are looking at getting a new head unit that isn't touch screen then get a single din and put a pocket in the other din. It would be cheaper and you would get more features for less. Mine has everything and only cost $120. Touch screens run the price up a good bit.

So really just find a brand you like, most of the big name brands are good. Stay away from boss audio, I've heard they make good firestarters if you want them. I was looking the other day and if I were to run a double din I would get a JVC KW-V21BT.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MB Quartz or Polk for speakers. And ive had great luck with JVC decks, even their low end modles.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a pretty extensive system in my red truck and I used a Pioneer Premier deck and accessories, DLS (Swedish) interior speakers and Rockford subs. My amps aren't really going to be relevant as they haven't been made in over 20 years. All that newer stuff I've been extremely happy with. Also used some Kicker KS series components in my Suburban and I like those as well for the money. If you used to work in the industry then you know it's not really as simple as "what brands are good," though. You're going to have to take all the variables into consideration and do some shopping.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Regarding headunits, Alpine is still good, Eclipse has went downhill. Kenwood is good stuff for the money, and JVC has improved quite a bit since merging with Kenwood.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

primal1

Reaction score
thanks. i was hoping alpine was still good. i always liked that company. good performance and lasted forever. my first alpine is still going strong from about 17 years ago. a friend of mine had bought a kenwood from crutchfield i installed and was really impressed w/ the sound and features for what he paid. i just did not no if they lasted long. what is blauplunkt like nowadays.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
I'm a fan of blaupunk for headunits myself, beyond that idk, my audio equipment is all craigslist specials for really cheap

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
what is blauplunkt like nowadays.

IMHO, terrible. I used to like some of their subs and such back in the day but everything from them that I've touched in the past few years feels like junk. Specs on paper aren't great, either. Your mileage and definition of cheap may vary. My short list of brands that I'll never touch are as follows:

Sony, Boss, Dual, Blaupunkt, Jensen, Lightning, Soundstream.

I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting but basically those that I listed and some other no-names. Wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole.

EDIT - Oh, and Audiobahn. I doubt they're even still in business anymore but seriously, F them in their A's.