Are these stock control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackc1500

Reaction score
Gday, Are theses stock 91 Chevy C1500 2wd control arms (with bag mount)? Ive sat them on a flat surface with a rod thru the chassis mounting points and rested a square off the back of the rod and have measured from it to the ball joint grease nipple measuring 17 5/16. Im in a dispute with a reputable control arm builder about whether or not these are stock or not. Also do they vary throughout 88-98 with 2500's etc? I need confirmation on that measurement not just a visual glance at the shape. Thanks in advance
You must be registered for see images attach

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am about to put new bushings and ball joints in my 93. I'll try to remember to measure them. May be next week before I get them out and rebuilt.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know you're looking for a specific measurement not just an eyeball, but since there are no aftermarket stamped arms, to begin with those are stockers. I can also say it is extremely unlikely they have been narrowed, or you'd see the cuts and welds. Thanks to the curved profile there's no way you can disguise it. Even if someone did the most professional job you would still see some obvious evidence of narrowing.

All 2WD GMT400's (except 3500HD of course, straight axle) have the same stamped lowers - 1500, 2500, 3500. The only difference in control arms on 2WD GMT400's are the 2500's (8 lug, not the lighter duty 6 lug), and 3500's - got forged uppers (tubular appearance.)

I'm going totally by memory here but I've messed with a LOT of these trucks, if someone has firm evidence to the contrary I will gladly stand corrected. :D

Richard

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
The only difference in control arms on 2WD GMT400's are the 2500's (8 lug, not the lighter duty 6 lug), and 3500's - got forged uppers (tubular appearance.)

I'm going totally by memory here but I've messed with a LOT of these trucks, if someone has firm evidence to the contrary I will gladly stand corrected. :D

Richard

Forged does not refer to the upper control arms. The 4WD trucks had either a stamped & welded LCA (Same construction as 2WD unit shown) or they are one solid piece with a cast appearance, in this case, forged. Looking past my knuckle, this is a forged LCA.

Skidroadie

Reaction score
I know you're looking for a specific measurement not just an eyeball, but since there are no aftermarket stamped arms, to begin with those are stockers. I can also say it is extremely unlikely they have been narrowed, or you'd see the cuts and welds. Thanks to the curved profile there's no way you can disguise it. Even if someone did the most professional job you would still see some obvious evidence of narrowing.

All 2WD GMT400's (except 3500HD of course, straight axle) have the same stamped lowers - 1500, 2500, 3500. The only difference in control arms on 2WD GMT400's are the 2500's (8 lug, not the lighter duty 6 lug), and 3500's - got forged uppers (tubular appearance.)

Richard
Does the C1500 Suburban have forge UCAs? If they do are they a viable alternative to stamped steel UCAs of the normal C1500s? Thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does the C1500 Suburban have forge UCAs? If they do are they a viable alternative to stamped steel UCAs of the normal C1500s? Thanks.
No C1500 has forged any arms. Upper and lower are stamped. You can convert to forged uppers from a C2500 (8lug)/C3500, but the ball joint bolt pattern is different. The ball joint that fits that forged arm will not fit your spindle. You can fill and re-drill 2 of the holes and run the C1500 ball joint in that forged arm. Otherwise, the forged arm fits just fine in the pockets on your frame for the stamped upper. Do note there's probably not any actual advantage to doing this swap, though...

Forged does not refer to the upper control arms. The 4WD trucks had either a stamped & welded LCA (Same construction as 2WD unit shown) or they are one solid piece with a cast appearance, in this case, forged. Looking past my knuckle, this is a forged LCA.
Right. And we're talking about 2WD's, not 4WD's. If you re-read my post: "All 2WD GMT400's (except 3500HD of course, straight axle) have the same stamped lowers - 1500, 2500, 3500. The only difference in control arms on 2WD GMT400's are the 2500's (8 lug, not the lighter duty 6 lug), and 3500's - got forged uppers (tubular appearance.)"

Richard

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
No C1500 has forged any arms. Upper and lower are stamped. You can convert to forged uppers from a 2500 (8lug)/3500, but the ball joint bolt pattern is different. The ball joint that fits that forged arm will not fit your spindle. You can fill and re-drill 2 of the holes and run the C1500 ball joint in that forged arm. Otherwise, the forged arm fits just fine in the pockets on your frame for the stamped upper. Do note there's probably not any actual advantage to doing this swap, though...

Right. And we're talking about 2WD's, not 4WD's. If you re-read my post: "All 2WD GMT400's (except 3500HD of course, straight axle) have the same stamped lowers - 1500, 2500, 3500. The only difference in control arms on 2WD GMT400's are the 2500's (8 lug, not the lighter duty 6 lug), and 3500's - got forged uppers (tubular appearance.)"

Richard

I read your post, carefully in fact. The only point I brought up and disagreed with was your use of the word "forged" to describe the upper control arms. I brought 4WD up as an example of what a "forged" arm looks like.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think you're still missing the point. If you have a C2500 (8 lug), or a C3500, the uppers are indeed forged.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack...

Richard

Jackc1500

Reaction score
Thanks for the knowledge and reassurance to back up my thoughts exactly. Basically I have received a set of control arms from the USA which were meant to be narrowed .800 and I have received a set which have been narrowed 2"+ from those stock arms EACH side. Additional narrowing could be carried out upon request. The shop is trying to tell me that my stock arms (pictured) are not the same as the ones you guys have in the USA even though my truck was obviously imported from there back in 1996. They match my 94 truck arms and every other control arm I have compared them with here in Australia. The shop continually says my stock arms are incorrect after many emails with detailed pictures of the arms with measurements. Hopefully with the help of you guys the issue will be resolved.