Anyone used a polyurethane rag joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Interesting. I have no idea how well, or ill suited, polyurethane is for that application.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
.....that should be stronger than the factory garbage and a bit more vibration deadening

How so? Both materials flex. The "rag" is a fiber re-enforced material....rubber? I'd be leery that the poly would break/crack preety much all at once, when it decided to give up, since it has no fiber too it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ive never seen poly blow apart like that otherwise i wouldnt think theyd make bushings and all that from it, i dont know though. im more leery of treplacng the worn rubber with new rubber ones, id trust poly more, alumunum or steel even more or just go with a u joint and eliminate most of those issues

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
ive never seen poly blow apart like that otherwise i wouldnt think theyd make bushings and all that from it, i dont know though. im more leery of treplacng the worn rubber with new rubber ones, id trust poly more, alumunum or steel even more or just go with a u joint and eliminate most of those issues

Things like bushings and body mounts are compressive, or simply take up space. The rag joint is twisted. It's not just a spacer. The rubber is fiber reinforced, which resists tearing. I've never really had the opportunity to look at a rag joint, as Ive never had to replace one. Does the bracketry that holds it together prevent a total loss of steering if it rips? Doing some looking online, it looks like steering would still be possible if it rips. In that case, I'd feel better about trying poly.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if the joint rips its just held in with rivets and the backings, if the poly fails its still held in with bolts and the backing. i get what your saying now but i dont have a good answer to that. id just make another out of aluminum and bolt it up and call it a tuesday

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went with Scotty's suggestion about using the Cherokee XJ shaft. Took about 45 minutes to change them out. Have not driven it yet but do expect to have most of the play removed. That polyurethane is 20.00 on ebay and at a local yard it cost me 25.00 for the shaft. Plus I found the trim piece for the dash that goes under the steering column for another 5.00. Over all a great day!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach