anyone use pre Vortec block as a replacement in a Vortec application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to see whats involved in using a pre 95 Vortec roller bearing block in a Vortec application. I have a a 383 engine that was build for a my 91 camaro that is just collecting dust now in the garage. Engine was bought new in 2006 from GM and then stroked. I want to install it in my 98 Tahoe. I will buy new heads for it and use the oem Vortec intake but what do I need to do to get the Vortec timing chain cover and reluctor wheel to fit on the pre vortec block?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Timing cover and reluctor wheel fit. Use the Vortec balancer.

Which cam are you going to use? Vortec use roller cam

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Timing cover and reluctor wheel fit. Use the Vortec balancer.

Which cam are you going to use? Vortec use roller cam

Well here is my dilema. Right now, I have a complete 383 EFI engine sitting on an engine stand in my garage collecting dust. It was in my 91 Z28. It is a 1pc rear roller engine. It has a Holley Stealth Ram intake, AFR 190 heads (72CC), Comp cams 224/230 .502/.510 112. Rotating assembly is a forged Eagle kit with JE flat top pistons. This engine was insane in my camaro.

I also have a complete speed density TPI intake setup sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Option 1: buy a stock L31-R GM crate engine and just toss it in my truck and be done with it.

Option 2: buy a stock L31-1 GM crate engine and put a mild cam in it and toss it in the truck

Option 3: buy a stock L31-R GM crate engine and put a mild cam and the TPI intake on it and toss it in the truck. (wiring mods will have to be done)

Option 4: buy a new 350ci short block and use my AFR heads and TPI intake and toss it in the truck.

Option 5: use the 383 short block I have and buy new Vortec heads for it and use the stock L31 intake and spider setup. (Possible cam change)

Option 6: buy a new HT383 Vortec crate engine and toss it in the truck using the stock parts from my L31 engine. (most expensive option)

I am also reunning the 0411 ECU in the truck. Truck has an upgraded exhaust but still uses stock manifolds.

Will the TPI system on top of a new L31 crate engine give me more torque and hp over the stock L31 intake and spider injection?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure if the TPI intake and TB will allow the A/C compressor and alternator to bolt up to the block so that is a concern if I went that route.

I just use this as a DD. I tow with it maybe 3 times a year and its just a small landscaping trailer. I dont wheel the truck either. I just want more pep out of her when accelerating. Passing people on the highway is a joke now. Engine is tired and Im trying to turn 33s. I do have 4.56s but the engine is just tired. Head gasket is slowly killing it.