Anyone know what this is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Srg1016

Reaction score
Removed what looked to be a big subwoofer and installed new car stereo using OEM wiring. Found this box under the dash. Can I unplug it?

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 47

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Old alarm. Most likely if you pull it you'll need to find the other areas where it's tapped in, as it probably has a starter kill. Follow the wires and it should be readily apparent.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like an after market security system. Unplug it, and if the truck still starts up fine, you should be OK, but if it won't start, then you will need to leave it in place, until you can get more info, on how to remove it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In reply #1 of the following is a photo that matches what you posted.

In reply #7 of the following is a wiring diagram that supposedly is the
one for your 'Clifford G4' aftermarket alarm system.
(How to remove aftermarket alarm from my Miata?)

Here is how I would approach this puzzle:

1) Can I get a color match between the unknown wiring diagram and what's in my vehicle?

2) IF yes to #1, trace the red power input wire back to the fuse. Q: If you pull the fuse does
this disable your car? If not, then this should be an easy removal/clean up.

3) IF the car is disabled in Step #2 when you pull the fuse, then obviously the old security alarm
is still working and not just abandoned in place. Reinstall the fuse, and trace the wiring to the
Ignition disable (and optional starter disable) connections. Remove all traces of the aftermarket
wiring, and repair your vehicle's wiring harness back to new condition.

NOTE: Do yourself a favor, and check that the truck still starts after each individual wiring harness
repair. (!)

Pretty quick you will arrive at the point where pulling the power fuse no longer affects the starting
of your truck. As soon as this happens, now you can relax and prune the rest of it out at your
leisure.

4) Do not be tempted to just leave the rest of it in your GMT400. I've troubleshot several weird
electrical gremlins back to aftermarket alarms like this. (Circuits get cross-connected, batteries
run flat after a couple of days of not driving the car, etc.) Been there, fixed that. (See attached.)

Unlike the thread I shared, please come back with what you found/fixed for the benefit of others
with similar issues.

Best of luck. Happy hunting --

Attachments

• '86 mustang wiring harness - scary.jpg
    '86 mustang wiring harness - scary.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not be tempted to just leave the rest of it in your GMT400. I've troubleshot several weird
electrical gremlins back to aftermarket alarms like this.

^^^ X2

Get that thing out of there before it leaves you stranded someplace.

Ask me how I know…

Even if the electronics aren’t junk, the person who installed it possibly didn’t know their @ss from a hole in the ground… meaning there may be (probably) poor and unreliable connections.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got the wire diagram. The whole alarm is coming out to revert back to OEM.
Thanks All
Just in case it's been overlooked - there are free downloads of the factory service manuals, pinned at the top of the Engines section here. Wiring diagrams included.

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got the wire diagram. The whole alarm is coming out to revert back to OEM.
Thanks All

"Solder and heat shrink" is my rule.

There are (I've been told) reliable crimp connectors available -- reliable when crimped and used appropriately -- but I like the smell of lead.

:cheers:

Last edited: