any way to test the ignition control module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
truck is a 92 with the 5.7. it died while i was driving. its not getting spark i pulled the coil and my friend is going to check it for me tomorow. the coil is getting power. is there any way to test the ignition control module? rather then just buy a new one.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i hopefully napa does too. i live in a small town we dont have autozone or orillys just napa.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Make sure it has plenty of dielectric grease on it when you pull it. If it doesn't, get some, and make sure you put a nice coat on the bottom of it, that acts as a heat sink between the ICM and the distributor. If it's not there, or if it's too thin, the ICM can get overheated.

Otherwise, you might be overheating your coil. I was having a no-start issue. Thought it was the ICM, turned out to be the coil.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried to start it after it has cooled down? If not, try it. If it starts, let it run again until it dies. Pour water (room temp or colder) on the coil and try to start it. If it starts right up, you know its the coil.

If it doesn't start, it's the ICM.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok good tip. ya i tried to start it cold and nothing.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Quickest way to test the Ignition control module and the rest of the circuit is to put a test light to power and tap into the ground side of the coil. Have someone crank the engine while you watch the test light. It should flash giving you a signal that the control module is working