any swap out the shift knob on a 5 speed stick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My shift knob center looks like someone's dog got hold of it and gnawed on it pretty good. No shift pattern visible, misshapened you get the idea. I want to install new aftermarket knob and have a couple of questions. How do I remove the old and what is the thread size on the stick. This is on my 88 Cheyenne, 4.3l V6.

Anyone changed theirs?

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the new I want to install. My truck is basically red/black so this would work in that scheme.

You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no clue what the thread pitch or diameter is, but factory shift knobs are usually a major pain to get off. The last one I did (not a GMT400) I ended up cutting the molding off of the knob until I caught some metal and then grabbed the lever with a pair of vice grips and the knob with another pair and was able to turn it off. One word of caution, the part store universal knobs almost all use junk plastic inserts that cut their thread into the plastic when you install them, then set screws to hold the knob in place, terrible design, guaranteed to break. If you use a universal style shift knob, buy a good one. B&M knobs (for example) have metal, inner and outer threaded inserts, so you find the right one, thread it into the handle, then thread the handle onto the lever.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut my stock one off, then tapped threads in the shifter shaft (it's hollow aluminum)

Worked great. Made my own shifter handle out of some nuts and bolts.

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

Reaction score
I changed mine out on a 94 5 speed, I just took the whole lever off, got a good grip on it with some pliers and unscrewed it, would probly work better if you put it in a vise though

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yea, I grabbed on the shaft you can see in the pic (the scratches are from earlier attempts) and put a wrench on that nut and unscrewed it with both my hand on the knob and the wrench(someone else was holding the pliers)

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk