Any other 16 17 18 year old members out there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah I was leaning towards 2, 3, or 4. The two tone just stands out and looks more old school compared to an all red or all white truck.

I would like to still have the trim molding with the new paint job. Should I leave the trim on and just mask it off? Or remove the trim, paint the truck, and then put new adhesive tape on the trim and put it back on?
If you do version #2 and add the white, silver, whatever, you wouldn't need to move the trim. Just mask around it, like with the door handles, and as long as the edges are tight, you should be okay.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys I need help picking a color scheme to paint my truck. (Originally red) I want some combination of white and red, or maybe all red. I want at least some of the exterior to stay red so I won’t have change the color of the door jambs.
You must be registered for see images attach

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah 2 would look pretty cool. Or maybe I could keep it the same color as current, just redo clear coat…? The eBay chrome rocker panels are starting to come off, so those would be removed and the bottom would be repainted that same silver… There’s just too many options lol, but I have decided on some type of 2 tone with red and white/silver, and the trim is staying.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah 2 would look pretty cool. Or maybe I could keep it the same color as current, just redo clear coat…? The eBay chrome rocker panels are starting to come off, so those would be removed and the bottom would be repainted that same silver… There’s just too many options lol, but I have decided on some type of 2 tone with red and white/silver, and the trim is staying.

The is my favorite style of two tone, maybe because that's what my truck has too but I have always liked these or solid color with the chrome panels around the bottom. And that's saying a lot, I don't like chrome much to begin with and I usually HATE stick-on aftermarket chrome but I like how these pannels mimic the factory two tone.

If it was me I'd just repaint it the same way it is now, it will be easier since you won't have to worry about door jambs or the back of the cab or anything like that.

I think you should take a good look at your plastic trim and think about the current condition it's in. Is it good enough to sit next to brand new paint and still look good? If so, mask it, if not, pull it and replace it.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will always find when you paint something that everything around it suddenly looks faded or aged. When I had my truck repainted I replaced all of the light lenses etc and replaced the badges as they looked really tacky when compared to the new shiny paint. I didn't bother replacing the ribbed rubber strip as I didn't like it but would have put a new one on if I had.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trim is new, so it won’t look super old and out of place when I paint around it.

I def want to keep the upper part (upper body crease line and above) red. Having the top of your vehicle be a vibrant color makes it very easy to find in big parking lots lol

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be kind of random but does anyone know what factory tint percent is on the extended cab windows on a 96? I want to tint the fronts to match (I have a lot planned for this truck if you can’t tell already)