Another what Transfer case do i have question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure that isn't just the 3500HD's?

100% positive.

well it cant be 8600 gvw as that is the 8 lug 3/4 ton gvw, this was a single wheel reg cab k3500
You must be registered for see images attach

That's kind of like saying there can't be 2500's that aren't 8600lb gvwr. The badge is just a badge and doesn't correspond directly to a tow rating or a GVWR. The actual rating is whatever GM decided matched the frame and drive train. I would think you would be the first to know GM did quite a few odd things in the 88-90 trucks.

In any case, if what you say is true, yes I need to amend my statement. All 3500 badged trucks did not receive BW cases, a majority did. Beyond that, without baring all trucks of the transition years I can't dial it tighter.

I would still venture to guess the GVWR numbers would shed light on the situation. There's no reason for GM to use BW sourced cases in bigger trucks if they could have just kept using NP241's.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I guess i should have clarified that this truck is a 1989. Just realised i didnt mention that fact. So would it be a 241 then?

good possibility, there would be a round tag on the rear side of it that will have 241c stamped on it as the model

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
100% positive.

That's kind of like saying there can't be 2500's that aren't 8600lb gvwr. The badge is just a badge and doesn't correspond directly to a tow rating or a GVWR. The actual rating is whatever GM decided matched the frame and drive train. I would think you would be the first to know GM did quite a few odd things in the 88-90 trucks.

In any case, if what you say is true, yes I need to amend my statement. All 3500 badged trucks did not receive BW cases, a majority did. Beyond that, without baring all trucks of the transition years I can't dial it tighter.

I would still venture to guess the GVWR numbers would shed light on the situation. There's no reason for GM to use BW sourced cases in bigger trucks if they could have just kept using NP241's.

i was referring to you saying 8600gvw 1 ton which the 1 ton had a higher gvw than that, the 8600 is the 8 lug 3/4 ton rating, 7200 is 6 lug 2500