Android based head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever ran an Android based head unit in these trucks? I've been told that you can hook a bluetooth OBDII reader into the DLC and bring the data up using an application like Torque on an Android based head unit. This allows you to view realtime data on your deck and display it how you want. The guy I was talking to had it set up to show his misfire counts just for demo purposes, but said he normally uses it to display MPG and other cool bits of info.

P.S: Are the radios in the 95+ trucks 2 din or 1.5 din?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
95+ are 1.5din.

red_97

Reaction score
Im currently running torque on my tablet in my 97, with a v link obd2 bluetooth transmitter. Works great for diagnostic purposes, ive notticed tho, if i dont have a factory gauge for the option i choose on the torque dashboard then it wont work ie: trans temp, mpg. Only issue i see is how will you connect to the app market to download the app its self, and can the headunit multi task. would suck to not be able to listen to music while the app is open.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cruizers org/ddin.html hope that's OK with the forums.... shows how to double din it, if you needed more space. Pretty easy if you want it to look ok, for a clean look it'll take some work. Haven't done mine yet because i need to get the materials to fab for a nice flush fit but a 7.1 pioneer should be in within the next two months.

Another option is custom chevy ss (iirc) but still have to cut up the dash and pay a load for their bezel or plasti weld their still expensive piece in. Looks really nice if done right though.

jayfus

Reaction score
I have an Android stereo in my GTI with torque running. The stereos are not as refined as the major brands and sound is not as precise. That said. I love it. Yes you can listen to radio while on torque dash. It's great. I can have all extra gauges

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one in my 99 Suburban. I haven't posted much about it because I haven't finished the install completely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes. It works with the Torque app and a bluetooth ODBC connection.

Last edited:

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never posted my follow up to this.

Remove radio and HVAC controls.

Gut the dash. It might not be necessary to remove anything depending on the side of the head unit. Mine was an 8" made for a VW so I need to position the head unit as far to the left as possible to fit the radio and the bezel.

[/URL]

Insert the double din holder and use spray foam to set it in place.

I had to lenghten the HVAC control wires and the unit is sitting on the floor infont of my center council. The plan is build a custom center council and put the HVAC controls in there. That was a year and a half ago and it hasn't happened yet! :)