An alternative rear bumper body lift raise on OBS Tahoe/Suburban.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may know, the Tahoe and Suburban have welded brackets holding the rear bumper, thus making the bracket flip impossible. The only real options are to cut and re-weld the brackets higher, or to buy a 99 dollar zone bracket lift and STILL cut the brackets. I wanted something that was not only cost effective but reversible if/when the body lift comes off.

I very simply raised the bumper and drilled new holes, the only time consuming part is creating access for the bumper to rise.

By cutting a slot in the brace under the bumper you're able to slide the bumper up into the bracket and drill a new hole. Your bottom bolt location will be the only used in this application.

You must be registered for see images

Green is the original top bolt hole. Red will need to be drilled, it's near the upper bolt hole but not close enough to use.

Blue is the notched area require to move the bumper up.

Though this only allows for two bolts holding the bumper, I jumped up and down with my 6'6" 209 pound weight and couldn't get it to budge.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I certainly agree! Though I still believe this is just as secure as the other method with the Zone brackets. Keep in mind the bumper is still stationary even before tightening down the bolts.

One could easily drill two more holes for a total of four bolts securing the bumper, I just chose not to as it seemed adequate to me.

Regardless, I think in most cases the car would hit the hitch before the bumper.

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't find the others, so I just took another picture just now. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the others, so I just took another picture just now. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks VB. I appreciate the pics - Do you have any other pics of your truck, perhaps next to a stock height gmt400? It's exactly what I am doing to mine and would like to see what the result is going to be like.

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill try to get one next to our 1996 two door 4x4. Everyone thinks its a six inch drop bracket until they peek under the front.