Aluminum Wheel Clearcoat Failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has been bugging me for awhile, and I figured I'd mention here, since everyone is fairly well versed on these trucks.

A few years back, I got a set of NOS aluminum wheels, for the 92-95 trucks. When I got them, I thoroughly washed them, clay barred them, and sealed them with Liquid Glass, then left them in the box until I was ready to install them, which I did about a year ago. I first noticed this over the winter season, it hasn't gotten worse, but it's still an eyesore. I have these little "spots" all over the rims, and the front tires appear to have "cracks" in the clearcoat on the lip of the rim that reflect when the sun hits them. Here are the spots:

You must be registered for see images attach

They aren't a huge eyesore, but even by DA polisher and compound won't get rid of them. Is this an early sign of clearcoat failure? I've heard of some people stripping the clear off, but have yet to find any info on how it's done.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does it react with the aluminum? Does it stain it, or will it polish up well?

It wont "stain" the aluminum but it will dull it a little bit. I took triple 0 steel wool and put polish on the steel wool and went to rubbing. Then I finish polished it, just know that once you take that clear coat off, you are now a wheel polisher, and it BLOWS.

I didnt do this to stock saw blades, I did it to some hole mags. They turned out really nice

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I dont see why youre so concerned :shrug: your wheels look brand spankin' new to me :imo: