All too common LS swap vs unique old school small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can de-stroke an 6.0l Ls and it likes to rev to 8k+ rpms.
Is this something that can be achieved with off the shelf parts or is this something that has to be one off. I’ve read instances that claim both but with not listing much explanation. I assume it’s much more than a 4.8 crank and additional oilers and oil passaging

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this something that can be achieved with off the shelf parts or is this something that has to be one off. I’ve read instances that claim both but with not listing much explanation. I assume it’s much more than a 4.8 crank and additional oilers and oil passaging
Crank, rods, and pistons are required just like with any type of "stroker". I believe Motortrend Magazine did a pretty good write up and Im almost sure they used off the shelf orderable parts.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if the deck is the same height (I think it is, just the bores are larger) you could just swap 6.0 pistons on the 4.8 rods and crank.

Summit has cams on sale. I picked up the 8720 for $269 to go in my lil 4.8 all noise motor.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't the fuel pumps for 4.3/5.0/5.7 (SBC) Vortec generation the same as the 4.8/5.3 Vortec (LS) generation?

My GMT 800 got swapped from a 4.3 to a 5.3 and I didn't have to mess with the pump. Actually, that one is still original at 265k to the truck. Some accessories are actually the same for both generation trucks, like alternator and power steering pump and even air compressor, depending on year.

Obviously, the Vortec pump is going to be more expensive than a TBI, since it handles more pressure.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I already replied to that quote. The pump itself is about the same price. When you replace the whole sending unit, it's a lot more expensive.

The LS sending unit has a pressure sensor which I think only showed up on the Vortec in 97+.