ALDL Scan Cable, is there a "how to" on installation instructions for dummies ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what it looks like without the Definition File

You must be registered for see images attach

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All this info is awesome.. I'll digest it now over the next few days and see if I can make some gain on this.

Thanks so much

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I think I understand:

What PlayingwithTBI is using is a program that's intended for modifying (tuning) the computer code that the vehicle uses for engine performance. There's access to the data stream, but also a method of changing the code--reprogramming the computer. It's ten--or a hundred--times more complex than my tool.

I'm using a tool that helps diagnose problems with the engine so they can be repaired to OEM levels and function. Doesn't "tune" anything, just displays existing data, and has some interaction (Bi-directional Control) over actuators and running conditions like "Limp Home" mode.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What PlayingwithTBI is using is a program that's intended for modifying (tuning) the computer code that the vehicle uses for engine performance.
Exactly, we can do the same thing as far as diagnostics, these computer programs allow you to "tune" or modify the ECM/PCM. You MUST be careful when doing this!

They're both great tools and, given the user's requirements, will give the proper results.

Bottom line, when troubleshooting or tuning, don't just throw parts and $$$ at it, do some research and utilize the availability of the most accurate info these tools can provide.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about any of this but it is super interesting and I'm really enjoying seeing some of the posts about tuning the older PCMs. I'm pretty good at figuring out software in general and seeing some of that stuff makes the whole thing seem way less intimidating. Makes me want to look further into tuning software for the '96+ black box PCMs even though most of the options seem pretty outdated.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me want to look further into tuning software for the '96+ black box PCMs even though most of the options seem pretty outdated.
Most folks don't mess with the "black box", they do a 0411 PCM swap.

Last edited: