Airbag Went Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes! Looks like it blew off some of the upper dash also. Yes, a cubby and one of those custom formed plastic dash covers (DashSkin, DashTop, LMC's Coverlay, etc) would be a lot cheaper/quicker than replacing an entire dash.

FYI - 8600# burbans in 98/99 had airbag no cubby (no knowledge on 97)

Oh crikey. Yeah I see that hole on second glance. New dash it is.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, it's not like the dash was mint anyways.

That's just panel bond adhesive, in hindsight, I might've been better of pinning it with a plastic welder.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a chapter on how to deploy the air bag in the service manual. If you decide to get rid of it.
I'm sorta in the group of people who believe that airbags actually do help.

I'm not so worried about getting in a serious wreck myself, as I am one of my other family members who tend to drive this truck (Especially my brother who's part of the drifting community).

If it were only me driving, I'd throw in an '88-'94 dash and steering column immediately (I'd probably bodywork the two dashes together so I could use my '98 gauge cluster/climate controls).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not long for this world, unfortunately. Crack City with these dashes. Wasn't just an issue with GM, as just about every Ram and Dakota I had suffered the same issue within a couple of years owning them. Whatever happened to good ol' metal, eh?
Yeah, that's why I really like the '88-'94 dashes.

Maybe, I could do the dash swap and modify it to keep my '98 cluster and steering column.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ths interior is already a hodgepodge of different colors, so I might as well throw in a red dash while I'm at it.