Air Conditioning Over Charged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig

Reaction score
Make sure the accumulator is changed too. When ever the system is opened up, the desiccant quickly becomes saturated with atmospheric water (condensation). The shop sounds to be pretty good, but they may say the accumulator is ok. BUT they are cheap enough to just replace for good insurance....
Any condensation in the system will cause the oil (lube) to become acidic - which destroys compressors (they call it "black death") in the auto-ac-world...lol. This may have happened to yours; and if the system has water/condensation in it, a new compressor will last a month too..
Truth be told - ac compressors will live forever as long as water/condensation is kept out of the system - and they are pretty easy to rebuild. 4 seasons compressors are pretty good for rebuilds.
Also, Pulling a vacuum does not remove the condensation/water from the accumulators desiccant. Again, accumulators are cheap enough to replace EVERY time the system is opened up - no matter for what or how long....
Sounds like you are on the way to a COOL summer!!

It's looking like I'm getting a new accumulator and orifice tube in the warranty as well.

They are reusing the R134A they took out of the system. They had just put it in a few months back. Should I push for new refrigerant?

I've heard mixed reviews on the re-manufactured compressors. Some guys say they're terrible, others have had them working perfectly for many years. At a car show I went to this weekend, a guy had a 4seasons in his square body that had been good for 12 years and going. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Having working A/C is going to be very nice. It's used as a work truck as well as the vehicle I take my grandmother around in for her appointments. My work mates and family hate it on the hot days.

Once this is fixed, I can proudly say I own a 20+ year old truck with everything working. :)

Last edited: