Adding Air Conditioning to 1989 6.2 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamthesargent

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already, I've tried searching everywhere for a diagram or photo reference and have come up short. I recently bought a base model 1989 C2500 Cheyenne/Fleetside with a 6.2 diesel paired with a TH400 and pretty much no options. The powertrain is surprisingly solid for being a municipality work truck its whole life and still manages to get around 19 MPG on the highway. Its actually a nice change of pace having a truck that just simply works compared to having to worry about windows or locks not working.

Which leads me to my one complaint about the truck. I live in South Texas, and air conditioning is pretty much a necessity here. Unfortuantely, I have no idea where the compressor can be fitted. I believe the older v belt accessory drive had a provision for it, but the serpentine belt drive like I have says nothing about it. The only thing I can think of, is its supposed to mount where the vacuum pump is and I'm guessing thats only there to run the TH400.

Any help is appreciated, and I'm open to any and all tips or suggestions including vintage air systems (if a compressor bracket is available, which i havent seen) or even a 12 volt unit if one fits.

Rickf

Reaction score
No pic's or part #'s. I am relying on memory but my 6.2 had a vacuum pump where the "distributor" is on a gasser and the a/c compressor went on the passenger side in front of the head.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everything for a 6.5TD serpentine will just bolt on. Some research on the harmonic balancer is in order, may be different due to the crank sensor reluctor on the 6.5. Lots of threads to sift through on dieselplace.com

iamthesargent

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everything for a 6.5TD serpentine will just bolt on. Some research on the harmonic balancer is in order, may be different due to the crank sensor reluctor on the 6.5. Lots of threads to sift through on dieselplace.com
I don't know why I didn't consider this before. I've read the 6.2s and 6.5s were practically the same, so the accessories should bolt right up too. I think a bunch of the CUCV owners were doing that as well to get away from the v belts. I'll start reading up on it, thanks!

iamthesargent

Reaction score
Download the service manual set for your vehicle. See what it shows for a/c service.
I've downloaded hatzie's manuals and have an alldata subscription. Neither say anything specific. The 6.2 section in hatzie's manual just says your vehicle may or may not have this accessory. The compressor section only lists disassembly/reassembly instructions. The general section shows an image where it sits on the 454, not the detroit.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't consider this before. I've read the 6.2s and 6.5s were practically the same, so the accessories should bolt right up too. I think a bunch of the CUCV owners were doing that as well to get away from the v belts. I'll start reading up on it, thanks!
A short search says some early 6.2's are absent a hole in the head for the alternator bracket, but also that nobody has reported a failure due to it's absence.