AGM battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So my question is will I just be constantly over or undercharging my battery?

No. There is not enough difference in optimal charging methods for AGM vs standard lead acid for you to notice any difference. Your truck will charge an AGM just fine.

I'm kind of surprised to see so many anti-AGM opinions here. IMO they're one of the best options for a street vehicle. They're sealed and generally don't leak if they fail, usually have more cranking amps and reserve capacity than comparable lead acids, and aren't a particularly volatile chemistry like Lithium. I agree that a trickle charger is a good idea if you don't drive the vehicle a lot as AGMs don't like being fully drained, but other than that I don't see any reason to avoid them.

I've been running Odyssey AGMs (ODX-AGM34/78) in both of my '97s for years now and I've been very happy with them. Only had to replace one so far and it was nearly eight years old. Still started the truck, just cranked a little slow and was reading low on my load tester.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. There is not enough difference in optimal charging methods for AGM vs standard lead acid for you to notice any difference. Your truck will charge an AGM just fine.

I'm kind of surprised to see so many anti-AGM opinions here. IMO they're one of the best options for a street vehicle. They're sealed and generally don't leak if they fail, usually have more cranking amps and reserve capacity than comparable lead acids, and aren't a particularly volatile chemistry like Lithium. I agree that a trickle charger is a good idea if you don't drive the vehicle a lot as AGMs don't like being fully drained, but other than that I don't see any reason to avoid them.

I've been running Odyssey AGMs (ODX-AGM34/78) in both of my '97s for years now and I've been very happy with them. Only had to replace one so far and it was nearly eight years old. Still started the truck, just cranked a little slow and was reading low on my load tester.
I think they have the same mixed bag quality issues as any lead-acid battery, but the much higher cost tends to burn people's attitudes about them for good.

I've had an Optima and an Odyssey crap out in just a few years in a truck with a properly working charging system, daily driven.

Also just had a Champion "Premium" lead-acid battery croak just before the 36mo warranty was up, fortunately got the free replacement (Pest Boys house brand)

The Champion in my wife's truck croaked just after 4 years, so I bought a DieHard Gold to replace it.

Amazingly, when the 300 started having starting problems in 2020, I checked the date code on the Duralast battery a previous owner had installed.. 2/2013! And this is on a 2006 model car that only had 9400 miles on it when I bought it in 2017. That's a lot of sitting for a battery to live that long. I replaced it with a Champion AGM which has a 48mo replacement warranty that will run out this coming July........

My wiped-out-dead-tired-brain rambling point: those 2 AGM's in my truck didn't last worth a damn, and they weren't subjected to any bad treatment. I won't be buying either brand again as they were stupid expensive for batteries that croaked early (but past warranty.)

Richard

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to spend extra on the AGM because I was victim of higher cost fallacy. If it costs more, it has to be better. I've had much better luck with the house brands from the parts stores and Walmart than I have with high-dollar AGMs.

The only thing I would consider paying a premium for these days would be Lithium, but it's a hefty premium. Check out antigravity. More CCA, 1/3 the weight.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never used an AGM battery, but I don't feel that I have any reason to, and only a reason not to. They cost a lot more, but will do the same job a lead acid battery will (start my vehicle). I've not had problems with lead acid that weren't caused by me (letting it freeze). A lead acid battery will last me 7-10 years, usually.

Chefman43223

Reaction score
Just got this one this past December, $125 out the door with core. Hard to find a good battery for less than $150 that lasts longer than three years these days.

Attachments

• 428340775_775046940762033_8686656654920163834_n.jpg
    428340775_775046940762033_8686656654920163834_n.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 3

Chefman43223

Reaction score

Odyssey is one of the top shelf battery brands out there .

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a standard lead acid battery in my GMC, however my 2012 Toyota has an AGM. The current battery is a bit over five years old and I gave the original to my uncle. It's been in his 8N Ford tractor since and he says it still starts fine. It often sits for months at a time. I bought the car in 2015 so I believe the AGM battery I gave him is the original. I'd consider running one in the GMC when it's due for replacement.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I learned the benefits of AGM batteries in motorcycles. I think Harleys actually shake the plates so hard they either short or just crumble into the bottom of the case. Old rule of thumb was replace the battery once a year but I'm getting three to four years out of the AGM's so new rule of thumb is three years. The other advantage is they are sealed so no more vent hoses slinging electrolyte everywhere or in the case of passenger vehicles rotted out battery trays,radiator supports and hoods. When I bought Smoky it came with a brand new Interstate. I can't wait for it to die so I can put an AGM in it. The not letting them go dead part is true. As long as you get right to it and charge it back up you're good to go but if it sits dead for more than a couple days it's toast.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Duramax in 16, it went through the factory lead acid Delcos in 3 years. I paid $150 each for Delco agm and they are still working fine. I bought a Delco agm for my son’s truck as well. I’m happy with them so far.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other advantage is they are sealed so no more vent hoses slinging electrolyte everywhere or in the case of passenger vehicles rotted out battery trays,radiator supports and hoods

This is one of the main reasons I stick to AGMs. It's nice not having to worry about that.