age old question spark plugs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im wondering what yall using for spark plugs on a stock besides straight pipe exhaust vortec 305/350? im jt need to kn what actually preforms best in this app.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I do have some mos, but you still can't beat the OE AC Delco plat.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ACDelco Platinum are OEM and will last between 70k - 100k miles. The Iridium cost a bunch more but watch out. The Iridium button can be on both sides (Which is best), but many companies will sell plugs with only one button. Iridium is found in the earths layer and is the hardest metal with a high melting point that works great in plugs for wear. With the electrode positive and the anode negative, metal is deposited from positive to negative, so having iridium on both sides can allow 100k - 130k under normal use. The new trend is the tiny wire style that provide excellent fire under high cylinder pressures.
Iridium can be welded buttons, coated under high pressure with high voltage onto other metal like nickel... which works fine also. If you coil over, then polarity is set, but on vehicles with waste-spark systems, one side is positive and the other is negative. This requires calculation for the one sided Iridium plug metal position on the plug, perhaps a timing light with an arrow on the pickup will blink. Ford OEM waste-spark system used this one sided plug from the factory. The after market does not know this as the dealer list two parts numbers. Repair manuals so correct position. Retired ASE Master / L1 / P2

RedRabbitZ71

Reaction score
I've got ACDelco Rapid Fire Platinum in my older truck with a 305 and they have been spectacular. My '98 with a 350 has the ACDelco Platinum and they've been really good as well.