Aftermarket ignition coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Herro.

'97 4.3 , 155k miles. Kind of quick.

I made this thread to gather experience from the audience. Nine months ago I installed an MSD ignition coil for no good reason. It has since died and I'm curious why. Bad coil? Bad brand? Bad line? MSD makes two or maybe three different coils for my application, I was using the "Blaster" line #8226.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...13+1147708+1147708&storeId=10001&YEAR=1656532

Anyone know what it is upstream that caused the failure or did I pick the wrong one? Worked great, noticeable difference but it burned too brightly and went out too quick.
First MSD coil I ever used and I guess I'll stick with Accel. Anyone reading this have more experience with hotrod ignition coils for Vortec besides me? Which is the one to get or better yet, what made it die?

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
MSD's stock-replacement "performance" coils are junk, period. Same goes for a lot of performance ignition stuff out there these days. I've dealt with these on a friends truck and a quick google search will show you people having similar problems.

Last time I looked at an MSD stock replacement coil was at O'Reilly. $50, made in China, no brass terminal, and a 90-day warranty IIRC. Went with a BWD coil for $35 that was made here in the states, brass terminal, and lifetime warranty. They are literally using their brand name to sell garbage at a higher price, and people will buy it because it's "performance."

Accel produces some crap too. I tried their TBI cap and rotor a while back. Rotor wouldn't fully seat and the cap was molded so poorly it wouldn't even fit the dizzy. How can they fck something so simple up like that?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

jcronk69

Reaction score
Yep, been hearing of several failures of the MSD coils.
Stick with a Delco or Napa/echlin or Standard Motor products coil. They are build to OE specs.

marsmann

Reaction score
Concur with the other posters above. There has been an increasing trend for parts reliability over the last several years with MSD coils. I've seen it firsthand just like others here. BWD is ok, and seems to do well but typically with certain parts you want to stick with AC Delco or Delphi. Although I will say that I have seen some failures on certain Delco parts in the past too but your better off with US parts that have a good warranty.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
MSD is all advanced had in stock when I needed one for my step side. Less than 1 year and it was dead.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My MSD coil died at an early age too. I can't remember how long it lasted but less than a year. I've since had a BWD coil since 2010 and it's still working fine.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Summit HO coil on my truck, and no problems since I put it on about 4-5 months ago. No idea who actually makes it but it's high quality, brass terminal, fit was OE, and only about $35.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Absolutely NO ONE has luck with MSD stuff of any form in a GMT400. It's cursed. I couldn't explain to you why, but when talking factory upgrades, don't get MSD stuff for your GMT400. MSD makes GREAT products, but as I said, absolutely no luck in the GMT400 world.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the msd coil awhile back , don't ask me why I just did .. truck runs no different , however i did keep my stock coil just because I've never had any luck with msd products . So after reading this which confirms my thoughts about msd coils for the truck. I will buy a oem replacement