Aftermarket headlight install...why replace the bracket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my clear Anzos in today. Truck is in the shop getting some transmission work, so I can't install them right now, but I'm curious...

Every install I see for aftermarket headlights calls to remove the grille and replace the whole bracket. Why? Why not just remove the long 5mm screws from the top and just mount the new lens assembly on the old bracket.

Yes, I am that lazy. Not really, but I don't get why you'd do extra work when not necessary.

Mike

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I recommend it in some situations. The one install I've done for money I re-used the factory brackets with some Amazon special housings that a customer supplied. I took the grille off anyway to inspect everything, but in the end I used his factory brackets with the aftermarket housings. Reason being that the aftermarket brackets were extremely flimsy and had mis-matched adjustment hardware.

That said, I used the Anzo supplied brackets on both of my '97s. The adjustment hardware is still mismatched, but the rigidity of the brackets is very similar to the OEM ones that I took off. So far I've had no problems with them. I saved my originals though just in case.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Yea you don't HAVE to change the brackets.
I didn't replace my brackets on my first set but my second set did not fit right at all so i replaced the brackets; in which i changed the brackets WITHOUT removing the grille, Most brackets are pretty cheap but Anzo's usually are not.
Also you do not have to remove the grille to get the brackets out if you wish to change them; does it make it easier? Totally. But it is completely possible to change them without removing the grille, just take your time and you have to get them at the right angle. I had to pull my parking lights as well to get them out.

Last edited:

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Ditto...I re-used the factory brackets and did not remove the grill. It took a fair bit of wiggling to get the aftermarket housings into the factory brackets, but eventually they fit.

blazen71

Reaction score
I couldn't reuse the oem brackets. The adjustment tabs were broke.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boy, the Anzo headlights were probably the most disappointing upgrade I've put in my truck since I bought it. They were priced like high end products but the quality was less than OEM and I got zero response from Anzo when I asked for help with the fogging issues and the flaking off of the sliver coating in the reflectors.
Not meaning to rain on your parade. Hopefully mine was an isolated quality issue, but fair warning to others reading this to check out other brands as well.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Boy, the Anzo headlights were probably the most disappointing upgrade I've put in my truck since I bought it. They were priced like high end products but the quality was less than OEM and I got zero response from Anzo when I asked for help with the fogging issues and the flaking off of the sliver coating in the reflectors.
Not meaning to rain on your parade. Hopefully mine was an isolated quality issue, but fair warning to others reading this to check out other brands as well.

I've had Anzo headlights and turn signals on 2 of my GMT400s, no issues so far..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No issues with my Anzos in either of my '97s, they've been in there a few years now. Something to be aware of, they make two different models of the clear housings. Part number 111136 and part number 111004. 111004 is what I have.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got them in over the weekend. Ended up swapping brackets (took off the grille). I couldn't get the tabs on the light housing to align with the slots on the stock bracket (too thick). No big whoop.

Quality seems ok. A little bit of wiggle between the light and the mounting bracket, but minimal. Definitely impressed with the light output. I installed a relay kit from LMC at the same time, so I'm sure that helped.

Mike